Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,378   Online: 1076

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone get a direct email or snailmail address to send the nasty notes to about no film images submissions yet?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    <Devil's advocate>

In the olden days, many photography contest would ask you for your NEGATIVE, for every image you submitted. On the one hand, this was to ensure the authenticity of images. On the other hand it was a stinkin' idea since these negatives would most of the time get lost, so that your prize-winner ended up a hapax legomenon (one of a kind).

In them modern times, you ask for camera files in order to reduce the probability of cheating, using EXIF and other file metadata to authenticate the photo. With a scan or a retouched image, you have none of this, so your image could be "borrowed" from somewhere else. As Nikon does not feel like evaluating negatives/slides anymore, they're only accepting camera files.

</Devil's advocate>

That said, EXIF can be fudged by people in the know, just like negatives could be duplicated by people in the know.

But people who are so technically proficient usually don't participate to photography contests.

Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    http://www.nikon.com/news/2012/1025_contest_01.htm

•Eligible Works
    •Categories A and B
    •Image data files created with digital cameras (including medium- and large-format cameras). Images that have been retouched using software or by other means will be accepted. Both color and monochrome images will be accepted. (Scans of photographs taken with film cameras are not eligible.)

Nikon makes the greatest 35mm SLR of all time, and then, while still producing it, will not allow it's users to submit thier photos to Nikon's own contest.

That's not right.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Hardy-Vallée View Post
    <Devil's advocate>In them modern times, you ask for camera files in order to reduce the probability of cheating, using EXIF and other file metadata to authenticate the photo. With a scan or a retouched image, you have none of this, so your image could be "borrowed" from somewhere else. As Nikon does not feel like evaluating negatives/slides anymore, they're only accepting camera files.
    </Devil's advocate>
    Devil's Advocate forgot an important line in their rules:

Images that have been retouched using software or by other means will be accepted.
    You can submit manipulated images, but the original source had to be a digital camera. This makes a strong case for the suggestion of others, that Nikon rigs their competition towards their own digital gear and that this whole thing is nothing but a marketing ploy, and definitely not a serious contest.

The most devious thing you can do to these things is: ignore them. These contests are a marketing campaign and will fail, if fewer good images are submitted. Throwing a tantrum about this will only help them, since common people will only hear "film bad film bad Nikon digital Nikon digital Nikon digital". What they should hear instead is "Nikon contest digital yawn"!
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    who cares ?

photography has been retouched, altered and manipulated since the dawn of photography.

if you were going to submit an image to their contest i can see why you might be upset.
    why not submit a question about if they are going to have a nikon FILM contest ...

this thread is more of the same old same old ... digital v analog whining and complaining.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post

this thread is more of the same old same old ... digital v analog whining and complaining.
    No, it's about being summarily excluded for not using digital.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    No, it's about being summarily excluded for not using digital.

If it's OK to 'summarily exclude' digital discussions in this Forum, why does Nikon not have the right to 'summarily exclude' analog capture in their contest?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    If it's OK to 'summarily exclude' digital discussions in this Forum, why does Nikon not have the right to 'summarily exclude' analog capture in their contest?
    They do. We just have the right to be pissed off at them for doing it.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... so was anyone planning on submitting works to their contest, or is this an emotional/academic/civil rights discussion?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Because it is offensive...

There is no reason to exclude film photographers from a contest and frankly a lot of us are sick and tired of film and film based users being the butt of jokes, ridiculed, technically over-compared and now excluded. Digital is so overhyped it is simply disgusting at this point, the stupid death knells for film being heard over and over again when as a matter of fact, talented photographers, not techno-nerds who only care about the science and technology, are using film for their work, often along side digital as I do.

I could continue to use digital too as I have for nearly 20 years, but it's the attitude around it that makes me want to vomit. I hope to be done with it in less than 5 years and be all film only...

Nikon is alienating people here and I hope they change this fast, I wrote NPS about it last night, no response yet...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    ... and frankly a lot of us are sick and tired of film and film based users being the butt of jokes, ridiculed, technically over-compared and now excluded. ...
    I'm getting used to it. I just smile and nod. "They" can take that any way they want... and they do: some think it is a sign of arrogance and others think it is a sign of retardation.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin