Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,490   Online: 1106

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    If it's OK to 'summarily exclude' digital discussions in this Forum, why does Nikon not have the right to 'summarily exclude' analog capture in their contest?
    A very silly comparison.
    A discussion forum and a contest are completely different things.

Forums are by their nature exclusive; they address a particular interest. Nikonians is about Nikon; no one's concerned about that. But try discussing film Nikons on there, much less film photography. The reason APUG exists is because most other photo forums discuss digital exclusively or there is so much that analog users have to wade through, while putting up with the occasional snide comments. APUG is about analog; it's in the title.

The Nikon Photo contest is long-established and well respected. It long predates digital. They now choose to exclude a whole class of photographers from their contest- something they never did before. When digital was used by only a few and almost every camera they made was a film camera, they did not exclude images produced by digital cameras. It is not called the Nikon Digital Photo contest, but that is what it has become. They have effectively declared analog to be not photography.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    They have effectively declared analog to be not photography.
    Now, that's a silly statement!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now, that's a silly statement!
    For the purposes of their photography contest, they have, in effect, declared analog to be not photography. Now do you get it?

Shooter
    35mm
    For the purposes of their photography contest, they have, in effect, declared analog to be not photography. Now do you get it?

Nope. They have simply said that for THIS contest, digital images are required. They have made NO statement about analog photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agreed...

Humans are not robots, they base a lot of response on emotions and perceptions. The first thing any of us did when reading that Nikon has done is ask why? So until we get either a press release that states why or someone from within the corporate structure as to why, then we only have our perceptions...

Imagine if you had saved up a year to buy an F6, got the Nikon World Calendar every year and looked forward to maybe even entering the contest only to hear this announcement...you would be offended...I am offended and I have let them know this and if I don't hear back from them in another 48 hours I am going to call the L.A. office of NPS and talk to someone about it...

They owe people an explanation at the very least...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It's just a typographical error. And it's not a Photo contest anymore. It's a Fauxto contest! As if I
    cared anyway.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ilford should organize a contest open only to traditional photography. But that would be only B&W then

Maybe a consortium should be formed between all firms involved in traditional photography: people like Fuji, Ilford, Rollei, Tetenal, etc. and they should promote traditional photography as a whole. That might include organizing a photography contest.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I asked "Now do you get it?" and the response was:

Nope.
    That is obvious.

They have simply said that for THIS contest, digital images are required.
    I said, "For the purposes of their photography contest,..."

"THIS contest" is their premier contest.

They have made NO statement about analog photography.
    Oh they have made a very strong statement.

Part of that statement is the express statement that their contest will accept no film images.
    Last edited by lxdude; 10-29-2012 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh they have made a very strong statement. Part of that statement is the express statement that their contest will accept no film images.

I'm sorry you have such a strong inferiority complex regarding analog imaging.

You are reading something into the Nikon contest that I doubt Nikon intended. You should give them benefit of the doubt.

As I suggested earlier, write a nice message to Nikon asking they consider adding an analog category to their contest. Please note I said 'nice' - you can always catch more bees with sugar than you can with vinegar. A rant will be ignored.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nope. They have simply said that for THIS contest, digital images are required. They have made NO statement about analog photography.
    When the captain says to abandon ship, women and children first, he doesn't explicitly SAY "...and no men first." But everyone knows what he means.

The captain's—and Nikon's—point is made by inference.

This shouldn't require a labored explanation.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin