Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,650   Online: 1106

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    They don't have time to look at slides like in the old days, let alone be responsible for returning something like actual prints. Even museums are using digital submissions. It's just that era. Get used
    to it, just like McDonald's being called food by an entire generation. Besides, Nikon is a business, and
    what they intend to promote is digital consumer cameras, that is, until cell phone photo contests
    put them out of the digital camera business! It's a slippery slope, downhill all the way, once you
    choose that path.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    For the purposes of their photography contest, they have, in effect, declared analog to be not photography. Now do you get it?
    HUH ?

they said in this contest from nikon digital that will not take anything but digital submissions.

i am not sure how nikon digital having a photo contest and saying they don't want chemical based submissions
    has anything to do with anything, or is like an assault as most here suggest it is ...

is APUG not wanting digital capture images in the gallery an assault on digital photography ?
    i am sure some would say: YES, and keep them coming !
    i just see it beyond the scope of APUG, just as analog submissions are beyond the scope of this particular contest ...

and i am sure if folks here were that super-motivated to submit to this particular nikon digital contest ( rather than the usual digital v analog rant )
    they would find a way to digitize their analog image, change the levels in PS to "look right" and submit it ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    They don't have time to look at slides like in the old days, let alone be responsible for returning something like actual prints.
    Drew, for clarification, they said this: "Scans of photographs taken with film cameras are not eligible." That means digitized film images. I have a good mind to take D800 raw files of some of my 120 and 4x5 negs and enter them so the EXIF data fools them....

No matter how you serve it, it's pure BS, 100% USDA....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nikon announced the contest as: "Nikon Photo Contest 2012 - 2013." I'm pretty sure that if the title had been "Nikon Digital Photo Contest" there would be grumbling -- but not outrage. There are contests for cell phone images, alt process prints, yada yada, but they are forthright in their announcement. This contest excludes an entire class of photographers in the submission guidelines fine print. The inclusion of MF and LF is just a wink and a nod from Nikon. They really deserve to be called out on this.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Drew, for clarification, they said this: "Scans of photographs taken with film cameras are not eligible." That means digitized film images. I have a good mind to take D800 raw files of some of my 120 and 4x5 negs and enter them so the EXIF data fools them....

No matter how you serve it, it's pure BS, 100% USDA....
    The aspect of a film scan is entirely different from a digital picture, and very easily recognisable, unless the image size is very small, let's say the kind of small size that is shared on internet. I suppose the same is true for a print scan, or for a pseudo-scan of a film with a camera. EXIF tampering would not help I think.

Besides, once you win, you cannot even say the image was taken on film
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    Besides, once you win, you cannot even say the image was taken on film
    Sure you can. Throw it back in their face. Announce it was analog and refuse the prize. That'll make the photo news.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Nikon Photo contest held since 1969 will not accept film images anymore

Why not just take pictures of your prints with a digital camera and macro lens, correct for distortion and submit that, it's "technically" digital as far as they are concerned, plus if it won, you could really stick it to them

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    I'm sorry you have such a strong inferiority complex regarding analog imaging.
    Another silly statement.
    A supercilious ad hominem statement of pseudo-psychoanalysis, irrelevant to the topic; the "inferiority complex" one specifically being a favorite tool of the internet troll. You come off as puerile and it only lowers respect for you.
    If you try to apply it to me, will you also apply it to Dan Bayer (PKM-25),who called it BS here and already voiced his objection to Nikon, and who buys the latest Nikon professional digital cameras for his professional work because he literally wears out the previous models?

You are reading something into the Nikon contest that I doubt Nikon intended.
    If I am, and that could be, it changes nothing. It is still offensive. At best, it shows a lack of understanding of what photography is about- the image. There is no defensible technical reason for it. They allow any kind of manipulation, so it can't be about integrity of the image or some such. So, the question is, "why"? Can you explain?

For decades analog was acceptable, and in fact was all there was. Nikon built their contest on it. And there were some superlative submissions, from both artistic and technical standpoints. Most of their past winners are analog images.
    Now a picture from a smartphone is accepted, but a scan from LF is not. So it's not about the technical aspect. Over a century of analog imaging proves it can't be about the artistic aspect. So what is it?

Nikon made the decision deliberately. They decided that it doesn't matter if analog images are excluded. In doing so they have excluded every image made on that medium, and so have diminished their contest. They present their contest as one of the top contests in the world, and it has been widely regarded that way. The contest was always open to all photography; that is no longer. That is a distinct and very real change. It is certainly justification enough for my reaction.

The work of very dedicated, capable and talented photographers will be excluded because of choice of medium. The contest is open to all photographers, so some amount of the submissions will be substandard. Those who use analog these days do so by choice, and as a group are more highly proficient and motivated, due to the level of involvement it takes for most to use analog these days over digital. The analog submissions as a group will contain a higher amount of excellent images for that reason alone.

As I suggested earlier, write a nice message to Nikon asking they consider adding an analog category to their contest.
    Why? Why have a separate category? If analog vs. digital is bogus, if what matters is the image, not the medium used, why? There is no reason to differentiate analog. A winning image will win on its merit.

Bottom line: if the contest is stated to be open to all, then it is open to all. Exclude some and there is no longer a true representation of all the work being done in photography. That is at the core of my objection to the current rules.
    Last edited by lxdude; 10-29-2012 at 10:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Why not just take pictures of your prints with a digital camera and macro lens, correct for distortion and submit that, it's "technically" digital as far as they are concerned, plus if it won, you could really stick it to them
    By a careful reading of the rules, you could.

Eligible Works
    Image data files created with digital cameras (including medium- and large-format cameras). ... ... (Scans of photographs taken with film cameras are not eligible.)

Still sucks. Many film users don't have access to a digital camera good enough to substitute for a scan, and what's the point anyway? A true high-quality scan is superior, and it's all a digital file then, anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    a BIG W T F
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin