Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,953   Posts: 1,557,999   Online: 1102

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I find this little segment from the Kodak website very interesting -

"...Film, Photofinishing and Entertainment Group third-quarter sales were $389 million, a 10% decline from the year-ago quarter, driven by continuing industry-related volume declines. Third-quarter earnings from operations for the segment were $15 million, compared with earnings of $28 million in the year-ago period. This decrease in earnings was primarily driven by significantly increased raw material costs, particularly silver, and industry-related declines in volumes, largely offset by cost reductions and price actions across the segment..."

Contrary to what a lot of people are saying, it does not seem that Kodak is making a whole lot of extra money of their film production.

Ah well, at least Ilford is still keeping their heads above water.
    Yes, I always thought that Kodak's profits from film were vastly overstated here. Especially when you remove motion picture film from the equation. It just doesnt appear that Kodak has downsized their operation enough to be able to do film profitably without a heavy subsidy from MP film. Since MP film is clearly still in decline, that is a big problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

While Ilford Soars, (Just released)

Best buy me some more Tmax 400 and a few more bottle of HC-110....
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd buy Plus-X occasionally if they put it on sheets and 120...

And sadly, therein lies the biggest problem with buying Kodak film.
    In so many ways...

(I really don't want to say it either)
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    From what I've read here and there it was my understanding that the photographic film industry had reached some stabilization and that there was somewhat of a turn around in interest by the public with some increases in demand. Wasn't that in the Photokina report I read here recently? If so, either Kodak can't monopolize on the trending or the third quarter earnings are as good as it gets. Still, they're definitely not Ilford who seems to want to interact with those shooting film as well as bring out new product in the form of a pinhole camera. So I guess Ilford knows how to market and Kodak has their head in a dark place. Was Kodak at Photokina btw? The funny thing is, Kodak could have bought a silver mine with all the money they had at one time.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    So I guess Ilford knows how to market and Kodak has their head in a dark place.
    Well wherever their head is, it sure isn't in a darkroom (or a dark room either). They already discontinued any of their color products that I shot, so it's Fuji and Agfa/Rollei for me for color. B&W is Kodak and Ilford at the moment.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would support Kodak 100% if they still made stuff I wanted. As it stands, they discontinued one of my favorite films in the size in which I use it...and so they don't get my business anymore. If they discontinue Tri-X 400 in 35mm and 120 ever, I'll end up stopping buying altogether.

I hate it that they discontinued a classic emulsion. I LOVE PLUS-X. It is one of the best films *ever made*. Ugh.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I have no idea what the OP has posted because he is on my ignore list ( only one ) but I can say that from what I have read so far none of this is surprising. And that said, I love the products I use from both Kodak and Ilford, just keep in making great images, awesome print sales, ba-da-boom, you know?

So some of you can just keep beating the same old steaming turds this guy leaves you into the ground, I am going to keep making what matters, photographs on Kodak and Ilford film...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 10-31-2012 at 10:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I hate it that they discontinued a classic emulsion. I LOVE PLUS-X. It is one of the best films *ever made*. Ugh.
    Sorry Stephanie...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Sorry Stephanie...

Ken
    As long as FP4 is still available, I'll move on. But I'll cry a little. I didn't know it was actually discontinued until today since I've been out of the loop for so long.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know...

I remember you from your previous presence here. And I've seen from your new posts (and signature line) how excited you are to get back into it. I just didn't want to be the one to pass along the bad news.

I used Plus-X for decades myself, and Ilford FP4+ is a fine replacement. I'm using it in a new 6x7 camera I purchased and that combination will be the basis of my submission to the current round of the Blind Print Exchange.

Welcome back.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin