Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,718   Posts: 1,483,112   Online: 1094

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    As long as FP4 is still available, I'll move on. But I'll cry a little. I didn't know it was actually discontinued until today since I've been out of the loop for so long.
    Ah, yeah that is a bummer, happened to me with Kodachrome 25 back in 2004. I have to say that sometimes it is better to be out of the loop and off the Internet for sure. I know you don't like the Tmax products and they are an acquired taste, especially the 100, but FP4 is a good film too and I am pretty confident it will stick around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Well I have no idea what the OP has posted because he is on my ignore list ( only one ) but I can say that from what I have read so far none of this is surprising. And that said, I love the products I use from both Kodak and Ilford, just keep in making great images, awesome print sales, ba-da-boom, you know?

So some of you can just keep beating the same old steaming turds this guy leaves you into the ground, I am going to keep making what matters, photographs on Kodak and Ilford film...
    +1. But mostly (post-Kodachrome/post-Ektachrome) Ilford products. While I would love to offer more support to the folks at EK, the company has - Tri-X excepted - discontinued every other Kodak product I have ever used!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm sure the decline in film related revenues is mostly due to motion picture print materials - the digitization of theatres has accelerated tremendously in the last year.

It would be really interesting to know what the still film and paper and chemistry numbers are, but I'm sure we never will.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    It would be really interesting to know what the still film and paper and chemistry numbers are, but I'm sure we never will.
    There was a statement from the consumer division in the Summer indicating sales were up slightly. However that's overshadowed by larger declines in sales of movie film.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Third-quarter earnings from operations for the segment were $15 million, compared with earnings of $28 million in the year-ago period. This decrease in earnings was primarily driven by significantly increased raw material costs, particularly silver, and industry-related declines in volumes, largely offset by cost reductions and price actions across the segment..."

Contrary to what a lot of people are saying, it does not seem that Kodak is making a whole lot of extra money of their film production.
    If Kodak was a profitable business, I'd understand your sentiment. Given that they lost triple digit millions, a 15 million profit in one segment doesn't look bad .... please tell me again what they want to achieve in their "digital future".
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think part of the problem is that Kodak has killed off their unique products. I loved plus-x, although the price hikes made it kind of ridiculous towards the end of production. I loved elite-chrome too. Axing that seems kind of stupid considering Fuji axed their cheap slide films around the same time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Yashinoff View Post
    I think part of the problem is that Kodak has killed off their unique products. I loved plus-x, although the price hikes made it kind of ridiculous towards the end of production. I loved elite-chrome too. Axing that seems kind of stupid considering Fuji axed their cheap slide films around the same time.
    Don't blame the companies who make the film, blame your self and your friends for not buying enough. Everyone wants Ilford to come out with a replacement for IR820 but Simon has stated on several occasions that he doubts that would happen....there is a reason for that, it is called ROI and economies of scale...

I'm sure that if you take the time to adapt to FP4 you might find it works well for you. As for Kodak nixing unique products, at this point in time, all film is unique somewhat, TMY in 4x5 being very much so....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Kodak didn't "kill off" films just to spite people. Believe me, if they could, I bet they would be running every film emulsion they ever came up with in every size it was ever offered. But they are a commercial business and they have to make a profit! So no more Techpan, no more Kodachrome, no more Plus-X, and goodbye to the entire E-6 production.

Instead of movie makers shooting on Plus-X, they are shooting on digital. Flat out fact, not enough love for black & white. Instead of chromes, the commercial shooters are using digital. And just because Techpan gave the abjectly awsome enlargements, stuff is stitched and filled, and nobody cares. The populace is happy with an inkjet print.

And of course Kodachrome was twice as expensive as any E-6.

Once upon a time, consumer production was 95% of Kodak's output. Now movie film is 95% of Kodak's output. And all of the numbers are dropping. If all of the members on the forum got together and bought $1000 of Kodak film a month, it wouldn't be enough to sustain anything. I have no idea what will happen next year. When Fuji diversified, it kept everything under its operational umbrella. When Kodak diversified, it spun off or sold off, and the profit no longer went to Kodak. If Kodak had bought Apple, Apple would be dead. If Kodak had bought Google, Google would be dead. They have a lead touch. Actually, they don't. Lead has value.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't blame the companies who make the film, blame your self and your friends for not buying enough. Everyone wants Ilford to come out with a replacement for IR820 but Simon has stated on several occasions that he doubts that would happen....there is a reason for that, it is called ROI and economies of scale...

I'm sure that if you take the time to adapt to FP4 you might find it works well for you. As for Kodak nixing unique products, at this point in time, all film is unique somewhat, TMY in 4x5 being very much so....
    FP4+ and Plus-X are a lot more similar than they are different. I have negatives made for the same series of prints, made on both Plus-X and FP4+, and every time I look at my prints, I just cannot tell whether it was PX or FP4 negatives.

The lesson is to use what suits you, and if something is discontinued, you find something else that works. You adapt. The most critical aspect is, after all, to make beautiful photographs, and truth be told, what film you use is probably not going to matter that much, as long as you're willing to learn how to use it. I do understand the infrared film conundrum, though. That's a pickle, for sure, but as always supply is intrinsically linked to demand, and if we don't buy enough of it, the supply will diminish. Accept it and move on. There is very little else that can be done. Do it for the arts! Do it for photography. Stay positive and make good art.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't blame the companies who make the film, blame your self and your friends for not buying enough.
    This is analogous to making the observation that horsemanship is a dying art, then attending a rodeo and blaming its demise on the participants for not riding horses often enough.

While it's possible the observation may be true, common sense should tell us that if it is, it's definitely NOT the fault of those participating riders. I mean jeez, they're just about the only ones left whose butts are still in the saddles, right?

If for some reason one has a need to assign blame for the worldwide drop in film usage, APUG and its small army of film enthusiasts is probably that last place one should come to point that particular finger.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin