Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,698   Online: 814

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I wouldn't want to put 'Kodak' on my product and damage its reputation!
    A VERY cheap shot. There may be lots of things wrong with Kodak's current management, but NOT its product reputation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, it was a cheap shot, a joke. About its image these days as a woebegone bankrupt company.

But I would be hesitant to put Kodak on a product other than film, because it's not really perceived all that favorably among much of the buying public here in the US these days. Its coefficient of cool isn't very good anymore. It has an image as being something from yesterday, like a Philco TV.
    Kodak does not have the cachet it used to have. Even my generation mainly remembers Kodak cameras as plastic Instamatics and Disc cameras, not as a maker of high quality items the way Canon, Nikon, etc. are.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kodak does not have the cachet it used to have. Even my generation mainly remembers Kodak cameras as plastic Instamatics and Disc cameras, not as a maker of high quality items the way Canon, Nikon, etc. are.
    When i was young, any camera was referred to as a "Kodak". We had friends who had a Nikon Kodak. Times have really changed, but I hope we will still be able to buy quality films branded with the Kodak name for years to come.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jk0592 View Post
    I hope we will still be able to buy quality films branded with the Kodak name for years to come.

Same here. I have never found a defect on any Kodak film. My film of choice when they make what I need.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Same here. I have never found a defect on any Kodak film. My film of choice when they make what I need.
    I've shot primarily Fuji, but also a lot of Ilford and Kodak. Never once have I seen a roll of film that had even the slightest problem with it. Amazing quality from the top 3 companies, for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More details released, that are new to at least me. Kodak has secured 800 million dollars in new financing, but MUST sell off their patents and consumer imaging divisions in order to secure the loans.

So now we have a timeline so to speak of when Kodak will be out of the film business. At longest they have until mid 2013.

"The deal, which still needs bankruptcy court approval, will come in the form of new loans from Centerbridge Partners, GSO Capital Partners, UBS (UBSN.VX) and JPMorgan Chase & Co (JPM), Kodak said in a statement. The financing is contingent on the company receiving at least $500 million for a patent portfolio it has been trying to sell for more than a year, Kodak said.

The package should allow Kodak to emerge from bankruptcy in the first half of 2013, Antonio Perez, Kodak's chief executive, said in the statement.

"The significance of this agreement for Kodak is that it establishes a clear path for our emergence as a stronger, more focused company," Perez said.

Kodak will likely be a different company exiting bankruptcy than it was going in. In addition to selling its patent portfolio, Kodak must sell all or part of its document imaging and personalized imaging businesses in order to convert the loan into post-bankruptcy financing."

Shooter
    35mm
    They (Kodak) must also resolve outstanding issues with retirees in England

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So for our purposes, nothing has changed. The fate of the personalized imaging division is what's paramount for analog photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    So for our purposes, nothing has changed. The fate of the personalized imaging division is what's paramount for analog photographers.
    Except...

If there plan to emerge from bankruptcy and continue to manufacture the film and paper is successful, then at least that source of high quality manufacturing will remain.

That model is interesting - certainly it appears to in part be what Harman/Ilford is doing. I wonder what percentage of Harman/Ilford's manufactured output is not branded either Ilford or Kentmere?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just dont see how anyone would want to get into bed with Kodak (buy their film selling operation but still rely on Kodak for the actual film) after seeing how incompetent Perez is the past many years. It seems like an awfully foolish business plan. But what do I know.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin