Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,020   Online: 1135

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Kodak in financing deal to leave bankruptcy

Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The article says the deal would require selling the "personalized imaging" business, which IIRC includes the film portion. No knowing what it all means for film shooters until a buyer emerges...but who? I don't think I've seen any plausible guesses.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I read the article as saying the financing was conditional on being able to successfully sell off the parts of this business which have been already put up for sale. So no big news on this front.

The big news from the report is they have reached an agreement to be able to exit bankruptcy, lowering chances of liquidation. Still contingent on a couple of things though.

Shooter
    35mm
    This article: http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2012/11/1...dak+bankruptcy says: "To get the financing, Kodak must sell a portfolio of 1,100 digital patents for at least $500 million"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak sales have not gone well recently. Any ideas why the sudden inability to sell off parts of the company? Previous to this autumn, there didnt appear to be any such problems.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Even before bankruptcy Kodak was trying to sell off these imaging patents. CEO Perez said over a year ago that they had a number of large tech companies interested in them. My guess he was trying to start up a bidding war, and didn't have any strong buyers. So this inability to sell assets is not a new thing.

The film sale might have a hard time attracting buyers, as the buyer would only control distribution and marketing, not production. So not an actual hard asset up for sale, and I have a hard time thinking of a company where this arrangement would fit well. Maybe MAC Group?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Whatever rises from the dead wont be Kodak. With just printers left, whats the difference to liquidation? I wonder if the personal imaging division gets to keep the kodak name when sold?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agreed. The proposed scenario to sell off film makes almost no business sense. It's not a real sale in the traditional sense so that may be why no buyers are coming forward. I hope Kodak is thinking harder about ways to sell off ALL of the film business so that it can survive.

Shooter
    35mm
    I suppose however buys the "business" of Kodak film would certainly seek to use the Kodak name, and I don't see any difficulty in obtaining it. Kodak is already using its brand to market products of different technologies. By controlling the manufacture of the film they can also be certain that the Kodak name is not spent on something of low quality which would damage the other product lines.

The Del Monte brand was used by at least three different firms in different parts of the world until a few years ago (I don't know about now). I mean really three firms licensing the brand to produce their own products. If one had made some big mistake it would have damaged the market reputation of the other two.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't want to put 'Kodak' on my product and damage its reputation!

Just kidding,but couldn't resist...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin