Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,010   Online: 700

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think importers and retail outlets seem to often declare products discontinued when THEY can't or won't be getting any more, perhaps to discourage you from shopping for it elsewhere and maybe encourage you instead to buy another product from them. B&H seems to have perfected this system.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by koja View Post
    Ok, my mistake. It was finegrain fb not matt. So is it being discontinued?
    Simon answered the question. The fine grain surface has not been made for some years now, certainly never since Harman bought the Kentmere Brand, which is very sad for me as it saw the demise of one of the best warmtone papers made, the Kentmere Fineprint Warmtone fine grain, a unique paper. Kentmere fineprint in now ONLY available in Glossy, and has been for a long time, I am a long term Kentmere user and when the Fine grain surface went I cried into my fixer.
    If you have been able to get the Fine Grain surface then it must be pretty old stock, so enjoy it while you can, I think the nearest surface to the old Kentmere surface is used for one of the Foma papers,
    Richard

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I might be incorrect, but it certainly seems to me that the quality of the coating of Fineprint went up
    after Harmon acquired it. With the older paper I sometimes got some "zits" of uneveness, and it recently happened to a friend of mine who got ahold of some older paper shipped by someone who
    didn't properly rotate their inventory. I like Fineprint because it can be coaxed into a rich true cold
    tone using amidol and gold toner, and makes a wonderful complement for the other direction of
    tones possible with MGWT.

Shooter
    35mm
    Kentmere had their own coating line at their factory in the Lake District. When Harman took the photographic side of the business over, the coating was understandably transferred to the Ilford factory in Cheshire. It is quite likely that this meant quality control improved, as Kentmere were quite a small outfit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I might be incorrect, but it certainly seems to me that the quality of the coating of Fineprint went up
    after Harmon acquired it. With the older paper I sometimes got some "zits" of uneveness, and it recently happened to a friend of mine who got ahold of some older paper shipped by someone who
    didn't properly rotate their inventory. I like Fineprint because it can be coaxed into a rich true cold
    tone using amidol and gold toner, and makes a wonderful complement for the other direction of
    tones possible with MGWT.
    Humm, you've mentioned this before. Does anyone know how well it responds with cool tones using more commonly available (and less staining than amidol) materials like Moersch SE-6 and Selenium? Or even LPD mixed strong for cool tone? That could be something I'd like a lot, but I don't see myself mixing amidol developer and investing in gold toner just for this one paper and effect.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Roger, selenium alone won't give a cold neutral black. You'll get more of a chestnut brownish bias
    to the black - not brown per se, but an unusual effect a bit different than other papers. Might be
    agreeable for certain images. Same with developers. The MQ or PQ cold tone developers that might
    work for other papers won't achieve a true black on Fineprint. They classify it as "neutral" tone,
    and the silver iodide emulsion is rather unique. Amidol is cheap to use. It's very effective and one
    rarely needs as much of it as some of the recipes call for. But there's certainly no harm in using PQ
    cold developers. You'll still get a rich print, but with an image color a little more like MCC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin