Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,166   Online: 732

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
    Lots more youngsters at lomo forums than here. APUG should have a lomo forum, so they can move to something else if they want to do something different than lomo.

Daniel.
    I actually think this is a really really great idea.
    If the film is going to survive, we need to get these youngsters interested in _all the other things_ the traditional photography way has to offer.

The best way to do this, is to open up a lomo-forum and have them take part in this incredibly knowledgeable community.
    Last edited by Helinophoto; 11-22-2012 at 09:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    While doing my own processing is a joy, waiting for my film to get back from the lab is an agony for me. I found the joy of darkroom work because I couldn't stand the agony of waiting for my film to get back from the lab.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Toy Camera Forum....seriously?

Who's brilliant idea was it to name it that, not a very sensible way to bring badly needed young people to site filled with cranky old farts...?
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hmmm, Toy Camera in Japanese certainly doesn't have a negative connotation... it is in fact that kind of aesthetic that is luring a lot of people (not just young) to LOMO and other quirky cameras (Holgas, Smenas, etc.). Instead of using a name that seems to limited it to a particular brand (LOMO), I wouldn't know of a better heading to put those under... Cheapo? Hipster?

Shooter
    35mm
    I like this particular quote: "There has been much speculation that Lomography may buy the rights to some of Kodak's extinct emulsions if the photography giant - now in bankruptcy protection and likely to focus in future on its printer business - sells off its film division."

I don't know that it will happen, but it would be nice if there were a few more slide film options. Currently there's exactly one 50-speed, one 200-speed, and one 400-speed emulsion that uses the E-6 process. All the others are 100-speed.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

foc

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to Lomography I have kept my film processor running every day over the last two years when other labs were either stopping C41 or just running it a few day a week.

Lomography has also helped to boost my film sales as customers try their film and then want to try other brands and so come into my shop to buy film.

To me it doesn't matter who sells the film so long as it is being sold and that customers want to buy it and shoot and process it.

BTW I regestered my minilab on their site over a year ago and I got lots of feed back and customers from it, both through the door and via mail order. So I'm a happy camper with Lomography.

Shooter
    35mm
    "Nikon F2 Photomic and a 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor(I'm aware that it's an odd choice for your only lens"

A combination I use a lot. You could do a lot worse - one of the best 35mm cameras and lenses ever IMHO.

If your Micro-Nikkor came with an extension tube, see if you can get your hands on an old 200mm F4 Nikkor-Q - they're usually pretty cheap -- and try that with and without the tube. Lots of fun.

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have the extension tube, but I have been thinking of picking it up. I'll have to look into the 200mm, but I'm thinking that I'll pick up either a 24 or 28mm lense first. I like the 55mm field of view for most things, but I've found myself wishing I had a wide angle on a few occasions.

On another note I'm rather indifferent wether Lomo picks up Kodak emulsions or not, but I would love them forever if they picked up the Efke equipment and emulsions. Just my luck buying five rolls of Adox chs 25 a week before they announce discontinuation......

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Personally, I've never met anyone my own age (24) who does the lomo thing and very few who shoot film at all. So if it's only young people playing with lomography, it's a very small percentage. Going mainly by this forum, my guess is it's the stubborn old diehards keeping film alive, not young people. The best chance for film is that they pass on the passion to their kids and grandchildren. By the time I (might) have kids, it will be too late!

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    We must not forget that Lomography and Impossible employ a very active media approach.
    That's definitely a critical point. Lomography is very much a hybrid approach, which is why we see a larger proportion than what we call 'the real thing' - which is mostly off screen. From my persepective, Lomo is a creative networking tool for young people living the 'art lifestyle'. Fuji and Kodak's public statements are the best indication of how well film is really doing.
    Last edited by batwister; 11-23-2012 at 07:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone shooting film, be it large format, medium format, 35mm or more obscure formats, pinhole, lomo or whatever, are all equally important to the community, I believe some of the older shooters out there may have their own opinion on lomo-shooters, but they DO indeed contribute.

Just recently, I visited a lab in the middle of Oslo (they hang around in the main building to our largest national newspaper), and they have devoted a very large section of their store to lomo-stuff.
    The guy behind the counter (where they also had a stacked freezer full of film) told me they process and sell loads of film these days, both to more traditional folks and also a large part to the lomo-crowd.

Lomo is just another way of expressing yourself creatively and I am glad they do it using analog media.

Now, if APUG had a proper Lomo-forum, not only would they have another group of potential subscribers, the Lomo-shooters are the most probable people to sniff around and start checking out the traditional photography craft.

By not including them properly, or really trying to reach out to them, we're hurting the community more than we help it IMO. (someone needs to take over when we all die :P)
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin