Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,667   Online: 1062
      
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
  1. #1
    ozphoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,137
    Images
    1

    Did the Lomo camera save film photography? (Hmmm, interesting theory. . . . )

    Just having a quick look at the BBC site, and saw this:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20434270

    Their closing comment:

    "There is also one kind of excitement that most digital photographers have forgotten, or will never experience - the wait for the film to come back from the lab."

    Pity it didn't include "or doing it yourself and experiencing the magic of seeing your picture as it slowly appears under the subtle hue of a red safelight."
    Last edited by ozphoto; 11-22-2012 at 12:21 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typo

  2. #2
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,350
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    Just having a quick look at the BBC site, and saw this:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20434270

    Their closing comment:

    "There is also one kind of excitement that most digital photographers have forgotten, or will never experience - the wait for the film to come back from the lab."

    Pity it didn't include "or doing it yourself and experiencing the magic of seeing your picture slowly appears under the subtle hue of a red safelight."
    Exactly! And also the excitement of un-reeling freshly processed negatives.

  3. #3
    photo_griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    13
    Images
    25
    And don't forget the satisfaction of watching your result improve because you learn to make each shot count!
    "Crap, why didn't I take more pictures"
    Me

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    550
    I don't know… maybe it did; maybe it didn't. I know for a fact that LOMO had nothing to do with me coming (back) to film from digital, and many people I know, as I shoot primarily MF and LF, the reason simply being that those larger formats grant me images simply impossible (or extremely expensive) on digital. Although I'll admit my sample of "people I know" is extremely biased, since I hang out (both IRL and online) with like-minded photogs.

  5. #5
    snaggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    325
    Images
    1
    Lots more youngsters at lomo forums than here. APUG should have a lomo forum, so they can move to something else if they want to do something different than lomo.

    Daniel.

  6. #6
    AgX
    AgX is online now

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,949
    We must not forget that Lomography and Impossible employ a very active media approach.

  7. #7
    Andy K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sunny Southend, England.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    9,422
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
    Lots more youngsters at lomo forums than here. APUG should have a lomo forum, so they can move to something else if they want to do something different than lomo.

    Daniel.
    We have a toy camera forum. Which is where I also posted this story thinking that is where it would be.

    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum234/...omography.html


    -----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Outside Portland, OR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    25
    I'd say it certainly hasn't hurt films survival. As a seventeen year old I just got into film photography this past July; and it was Impossible Project that got me interested. Someone asked me to borrow my old Polaroid 600 camera that I used when I was younger for their wedding. I told them Polariod no longer made film but that I'd heard that another company had started making it. To check out this new film I looked IP up and bought a pack of B&W. The price hurt, plus the photos weren't the greatest ever, but overal it piqued my interest in analogue photography.

    I've tried to take up digital photography a few times since photography is really the only outlet I have in the visual arts since pen, pencil, and brush seem to hate me. But I was never able to get myself engaged with it. I'd always shoot for a bit, edit some, but then get bored and quit. Luckily for me however I'm impatient and hate waiting for shipping, and to cheap to order anything express, and I looked up were I could get IP film locally in Portland. That led me to Blue Moon Camera & Machine, where I quickly discovered that you could take amazing photos with film that didn't look so sloppy. (Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the Lomo look, I own a Holga, I just don't get using it for everything.) This led me to that week purchase a Nikon F2 Photomic and a 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor(I'm aware that it's an odd choice for your only lense) and run a roll of Velvia 50 thru it. I got those slides back and was in love, I didn't have to screw with anything in Photoshop, they looked great as is. I was ecstatic, I HATE digital photo editing, is there anything more dull out there?

    Longer story slightly shorter I'm now shooting almost nothing but B&W(I'm discovering I dislike color), developing it myself, and starting to teach myself to wet-print. I'm going down to take my second stab at printing and my first at toning this Monday and I'm looking forward to it. I know I suck at printing now, but I already was able to make one or two prints that wouldn't make me wretch to show to someone, which is encouraging. I'm just getting started, and I don't intend to ever stop using nothing but film, I'll make my own glass plates if it comes to it. And I owe it all to the movement that Lomo has spawned. I may not do much in the way of "lomography", but it's what got me here today.

    -Alaric Chesley

  9. #9
    snaggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    325
    Images
    1
    Im not sure the badge of "toy camera" is how 19 year old super cool lomographers would identify themselves B)

  10. #10
    snaggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    325
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by alarickc View Post
    Longer story slightly shorter I'm now shooting almost nothing but B&W(I'm discovering I dislike color), developing it myself, and starting to teach myself to wet-print. I'm going down to take my second stab at printing and my first at toning this Monday and I'm looking forward to it. I know I suck at printing now, but I already was able to make one or two prints that wouldn't make me wretch to show to someone, which is encouraging. I'm just getting started, and I don't intend to ever stop using nothing but film, I'll make my own glass plates if it comes to it. And I owe it all to the movement that Lomo has spawned. I may not do much in the way of "lomography", but it's what got me here today.

    -Alaric Chesley
    Well done. I remember in Year 11 at school doing photography in the darkroom. Ive done film, but have not yet done a hand print since all those years. Thats what I want to get to, something authentic, hand made, which means flaws! This is what is good about lomography, its not about how good your gear is, its about experminenting. It will be interesting to see what the lomo generation do once they get older, cashed up and start setting up dark rooms.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin