Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,494   Online: 987

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can't wait to finish all my tri-x and acros to switch over to ilford fully for my b&w needs.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    Can we ditch the DX coding and have the better (and reusable!) cassette design? I don't even know anyone who sets ISO with DX anyway.
    Heck, who shoots at box speed?
    Haha I second that!

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll third that.
    I often put films in my EOS 3, rate them to 1 or 2 stops higher, shoot a few shots, then sometimes do a mid-roll-rewind to swap to another film. I always remember to write on the canister what frame I'm up to, and the speed i shot it at, but then when I put it back in the camera for more shots I remember to get the frame count back up, but completely forget to re-set the ISO to whatever I was using before and it goes back to DX-set box speed (hey, I can only remember one number at once).

(yes, there's probably a custom-function to tell the EOS 3 to ignore the DX-code, but i'm too lazy to find my manual and set it. It's easier to tell Ilford what to do...)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    ? I don't even know anyone who sets ISO with DX anyway.
    Heck, who shoots at box speed?
    Many of the Canon SLR camera will Blink "ISO" constantly if they can't read the the DX code. Some models will stop blinking if you set an ISO, but some won't.

I would love to see a fresh source of Reloadable Cassettes, but with DX codes. I have a bunch of non-coded Ilford (and Agfa) cassettes from over the years which I have put away because the darn Canon does not like to not find the code. The older ones were MUCH better Physically than the DX coded ones of the same general design sold over the last few years. (and those appear to be non longer available)
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    Many of the Canon SLR camera will Blink "ISO" constantly if they can't read the the DX code. Some models will stop blinking if you set an ISO, but some won't.

I would love to see a fresh source of Reloadable Cassettes, but with DX codes. I have a bunch of non-coded Ilford (and Agfa) cassettes from over the years which I have put away because the darn Canon does not like to not find the code. The older ones were MUCH better Physically than the DX coded ones of the same general design sold over the last few years. (and those appear to be non longer available)
    You can modify unmarked cassettes by scratching off the paint to match codes, or buy some self-adhesive aluminum tape (used for sealing ductwork) at a hardware store. Porter's Camera Store sold self-adhesive DX-coded labels, but now they're closing, I don't know of another source.
    Last edited by lxdude; 05-09-2013 at 10:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Porter's Camera Store sold self-adhesive DX-coded labels, but now they're closing, I don't know of another source.
    there is a camera store in the UK who makes some, they will not send them out of the country, but Someone I know from a mailing list was kind enough to get some on my behalf. Unfortunately they are poorly designed as far as having a positive way to locate them and they are so thin that I doubt that they will last many cycles. Also they were quite expensive even if just the UK price was taken into account.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    there is a camera store in the UK who makes some, they will not send them out of the country, but Someone I know from a mailing list was kind enough to get some on my behalf. Unfortunately they are poorly designed as far as having a positive way to locate them and they are so thin that I doubt that they will last many cycles. Also they were quite expensive even if just the UK price was taken into account.
    Firstcall sell them £1.99 (just over $3) for 5 the same, there's various speeds.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    I can't wait to finish all my tri-x and acros to switch over to ilford fully for my b&w needs.

Wow. I'd never, ever give up Acros film. Not in a million years. The day Fujifilm stops selling Acros is the day I lose interest in photography.

3 rolls Acros film shot today during my weekly urban hike!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Wow. I'd never, ever give up Acros film. Not in a million years. The day Fujifilm stops selling Acros is the day I lose interest in photography.

3 rolls Acros film shot today during my weekly urban hike!
    You have got to be kidding??

I mean, I like Acros, and it has a different spectral sensitivity and thus a different look from other films, and the best (lack of) reciprocity failure I know of, but it's not magic.

I can't think of any one film that would make me give up photography if it went away.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    You have got to be kidding??

I mean, I like Acros, and it has a different spectral sensitivity and thus a different look from other films, and the best (lack of) reciprocity failure I know of, but it's not magic.

I can't think of any one film that would make me give up photography if it went away.
    I agree, unless of course you specifically ONLY shoot super long 6 hour exposures at night, then you technically couldn't do it with any other film for the reciprocity failure reasons, but it's silly to say you would give up photography altogether, plus have you tried other films, PanF+ or FP4+ ? They are spectacular!

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin