Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,412   Online: 1043

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    What's "in-house" is in control and the way to go. Good news

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good news thank you
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's good news and I'm glad you were able to do it. Now you just need to get the 220 machine back running

Shooter
    35mm
    A million Bucks is not small Change. great to see that level of commitment. Hope that you will be able to find external customers for realated products (Metal Packaging) (Litho tinplate) to help with the amorization.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So was there really a problem sourcing these from outside the company, or is it just being a cost advantage and maybe to ensure supply? Other film makers don't seem to have a problem getting cassettes.

Would it be possible to make reloadable snap cap or scew on designs rather than crimped and sell them for bulk loading? Especially if they were available in different DX-codings as those are kind of hard to find now. I think only ISO 100 DX coding is available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw this thread and instantly thought of the awesome 1980s BASF cassette tape TV ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLs2ud5JZPQ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    So was there really a problem sourcing these from outside the company, or is it just being a cost advantage and maybe to ensure supply? Other film makers don't seem to have a problem getting cassettes.
    I know Freestyle dont sell the metal snap cap cassettes they used to, due to them not being available from the manufacturer anymore. They only sell the plastic ones. Im under the impression that Efke, Foma, Adox, Rollei, etc. all sourced their cassettes from this same manufacturer - maybe Ilford did as well. I would expect Kodak and Fuji make theirs in house as well, but HARMAN might be looking to offset their investment by working with the smaller manufacturers to provide cassettes to them too.

All wild ass speculation on my part, of course.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could be. I think Freestyle does sell metal ones that are DX coded to 100 (only.)

Personally I always had better luck with the plastic anyway, but I think that's mostly because the metal ones I've used weren't made very well. The caps can pop off if dropped. I've never had a plastic screw on one do that.

Shooter
    35mm RF

News From HARMAN technology Limited :

This is really encouraging news, it definately shows commitment to film by Ilford!

Christian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

Thanks for the very positive feedback :

The machine makes 'crimped' cassettes and is not able to make a 're-loadable' design.

220 : We will not re-open this debate if that's OK. Believe me when I say its not viable, sorry.

Regards Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin