Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,958   Online: 763

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Ilford!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Liebermann View Post
    Hmmm, I remember buying some from Freestyle in the early 1990s that, as I recall, they said were Ilford. Maybe that's the 'in the UK' part on the announcement. Whatever they were, the were by far the best I've ever seen - thick black metal body, nice coppery caps, sturdy reels, good felt, tough and secure as hell. Obviously would have lasted forever, maybe with felt replacement after a decade or two....
    From about 1975 or so for many years both Agfa and Ilford used basicaly the same cassettes, there were minor differences. These were plain black metal and had a paper label. They DID NOT have a DX code. The Agfa ones tended to have silver caps, the Ilford ones were more of a gold colour. I don't beleive that either company sold them Empty, but folks like freestyle would get them from film labs. I recall getting one batch from Freestyle which were still labeled "agfachrome" in german.

over time the End caps changed to black. BUT the need for DX coding came in, and so newer designs came out with the Crimped end caps, and lithographed body having a bar code and the alll important film speed contacts.

The spanish firm AP Photoplast sold a version of the old AGFA/Ilford cassette just for bulk loading, but the quality has gone downhill, and I gather the tooling that they were made on has worn out. Freesyile had had the AP cassettes under there ARISTA brand on clearnace for a while and only the ASA100 DX version was left.

I don't know if AP made these or they actually came from AGFA. I am sure Simon will not be in a position to comment on where Ilford has been getting their cassettes. (I recall a distributor rep answering a quiry when the crimped cassettes came out mentioning that Ilford actually bought their cassettes from Agfa. but I am not sure if that was refering to the old style or the crimp style)

The Ilford cassettes of 50 years ago were MAGNIFICENT. I only ever had a couple of them, and one of those got away from me. The end caps were Drawn Aluminum. the cassette body was also thin aluminum and fully feft lined. the end caps were held on by the paper label which you could cut with your finger nail to remove the caps. Since the caps overlaped the body by about a 1/4 inch they would be imposible to DX code.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

News From HARMAN technology Limited :

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Looks just like 70mm cassettes

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    70mm cassettes look more like blown-up Karat/Rapid cassettes, except for their holes for the spool drive.

By the way: did Ilford ever offer their films in Rapid cassettes?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep , those are the ones, Note that the film was HP3 and FP3 Back then.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By the way: did Ilford ever offer their films in Rapid cassettes?
    If I remember right Agfa only licensed type Rapid cameras, not the cassettes. Though one could evade this partially via the Karat ssytem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is good news. Thanks to Ilford for continuing to show their strong interest in this medium.

I love the films you guys make. As long as I have film cameras and a finger to hit the shutter button, I will use Ilford film.
    Pentax MZ-S, Calumet 4x5 Monorail

Favorite Films: Foma 100, Acros 100, Delta 400, Portra 400.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Here's a link to a Pop Photo article that might be the new Ilford product, called the Ilford Obscura Pure Pinhole Camera:

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2013/03...pinhole-camera

It appears to use a magnetic lock on the shutter (the two white dots?), but I can't tell from the brief article if it takes standard film holders or is loaded as a one-shot camera in a changing bag. There's an interesting flange on the back that looks to me like it opens up like a box. Viewing lines or dots would have been helpful on the sides or top, as an aid in composition; perhaps the final design will include them. Hopefully more info will come out soon.

~Joe

Update: the original release was reported by ephotozine, here:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/il...nnounced-21522

According to the article, the camera will feature:

87mm focal length
    Magnetic lock design
    Front rotates for left or right hand use
    Holds paper in position for white border
    0.3mm chemical etched pinhole
    Tripod converter bush
    Can be used with 4x5 film or paper

So, it appears to be a one-shot camera that holds the film or paper along its edge, creating in the process a white border. The rotating front is interesting, too. Expected retail price, according to the article, is £69, which sounds very affordable. Exciting times for commercial pinhole cameras.

Update: Here's the brief mention of the product on Ilford's website:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/whatsnew/obscura/main.asp
    Last edited by Joe VanCleave; 03-12-2013 at 10:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Can we ditch the DX coding and have the better (and reusable!) cassette design? I don't even know anyone who sets ISO with DX anyway.
    Heck, who shoots at box speed?
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin