Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,442   Online: 1067

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Kodak sells $525M patent portfolio to consortiums led by Apple & Google

Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Kodak plans to emerge from bankruptcy with a new look that will limit its presence in the consumer business, instead focusing on commercial imaging."

I guess this means that I shouldn't change from HP5 back to Tri-X after all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MSchuler View Post
    "Kodak plans to emerge from bankruptcy with a new look that will limit its presence in the consumer business, instead focusing on commercial imaging."

I guess this means that I shouldn't change from HP5 back to Tri-X after all.
    I'm not sure about that, did anyone ever figure out if the film we use is "consumer" or "commercial?"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Commercial imaging doesn't necessarily preclude conventional film manufacture. They just want to
    get out of the distribution of it. If it's profitable, they will continue. And simplifying things will help.
    They've been way too big an octopus with too many arms for a long time.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Commercial imaging doesn't necessarily preclude conventional film manufacture.
    Within the commercial/non-cosumer/industrial imaging field Kodak already completely retracted from some important conventional film markets.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    We get film from Kodak so long as Hollywood wants it. So far they signed a deal with Kodak through 2015.

Kodak still picture film would sell better if someone else (who is competant, rather than an arrogant former monopolist) was distributing it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak has already stated several times in their press releases that the consumer film division of their company is NOT, repeat NOT, a core business for them and have already announced plans to sell this business.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Although its digital patents, I really dislike this.

This is just a measure against progress being made by others to block innovation and competition.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    And they've already repeatedly stated that they intend to retain actual mfg of those core product
    lines we actually need. They still have a relatively strong presence in color neg film, TMax films,
    and a variety of RA4 paper. Who gives a damn about amateur point n' shoots? They're not trying to
    lose control at the manufacturing step itself. This is about marketing rights. I don't care how it's done as long as the quality remains. They turned over their chemisty a long time ago, and little has
    changed except some odd pkg sizes. And they've already dropped E6 film. So no sense second guessing at this point in the game. If your nerves can't stand the anxiety do what I did, and stuff a
    few years worth of film in your freezer. That's the only certainly you're gonna get at this point in time.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin