Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,982   Online: 938

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Fujifilm Announces Film Price increases

Defaults to vertical? Which camera did you get? Mamiya 645 slr is in landscape format normally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Defaults to vertical? Which camera did you get? Mamiya 645 slr is in landscape format normally.
    It does? That'd be a nice surprise---the material I found online suggested that the first generation were vertical and they switched to horizontal around the time of the Pro. Detailed information seems kind of thin on the ground for these cameras, though.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    It does? That'd be a nice surprise---the material I found online suggested that the first generation were vertical and they switched to horizontal around the time of the Pro. Detailed information seems kind of thin on the ground for these cameras, though.

-NT
    Do you learn from car manufacturing? You NEVER buy the first version...

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

-NT
    None of the Mamiya 645 cameras - from the initial 645 in 1975 to the last AFDIII - shoot in a native vertical orientation.

Are you sure that you aren't confusing this with the Bronica RF?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    None of the Mamiya 645 cameras - from the initial 645 in 1975 to the last AFDIII - shoot in a native vertical orientation.

Are you sure that you aren't confusing this with the Bronica RF?
    Are you sure? I remember reading about an early Mamiya that was in vertical format.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Are you sure? I remember reading about an early Mamiya that was in vertical format.

~Stone

I'm sure about the 645 SLRs.

Although there could be an older folder that I am unaware of.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I'm sure about the 645 SLRs.

Although there could be an older folder that I am unaware of.
    I think I'm just thinking about the RZ67/RB67 645 back which is vertical? Oh we'll, the OP can tell us when he/she gets it in the mail

~Stone

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Err not OP but poster who bought the 645

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, *that* was an enabling post. I just pulled the trigger on an M645 outfit from KEH. Didn't realize how inexpensive they'd gotten! It defaults to vertical, but I'll manage.

-NT
    Yeah, they're pretty affordable. I bought mine on here for $450, which may sound like a lot but included the 80mm 2.8N lens, AE Prism finder, winder grip, and two 120 backs with inserts. I bought a couple more backs, inserts, and one 220 insert because I also have some 220 Optima 400 I got frozen (which works perfectly.) I got a Polaroid back for free from someone on another forum who had bought it for his earlier model 645 thinking it would work - I offered to pay for it. Yes, the image is small, but it's useful for proofing and kind of fun, even though you have to remove the winder grip to use it which makes it kind of a PITA to swap back and forth. Then I picked up the 55mm and 150mm N lenses from B&H. The whole thing adds up to a pretty darned heavy camera bag if I take it all (plus filters, film, cable release etc.) but it's very capable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By the way, I'm sorry to threadjack, but we went from bemoaning a price increase to discussing the virtues of a camera, which seems like a step up, doesn't it? :-) It's due in the mail around New Year's Day, and I'll try to give it a quick smoke test on b&w film first off.

To get semi-back on topic, I got this camera partly with the idea of using it to take over some of the "random family photo" duties that 35mm E-6 currently holds down. I figure that without taking the coming price increase into account, I'm paying something like $17 (including film and processing) for 37 frames of 35mm, vs. $13 for 16 frames of 645, for Provia 100F. So the MF alternative is less than twice the price per frame of 35mm, and if I can see a "hit rate" with the Mamiya comparable to what I'm used to getting in medium format, I might well come out ahead on a "per keeper shot" basis. It clearly won't replace my 35mm cameras completely---did I mention that 50/1.5 Sonnar?---but it actually competes in their niche.

Incidentally, if my 35mm price of 46 cents per frame is typical, I wonder how it stacks up with past prices when adjusted for inflation. I know film is cheap by historical standards, but I don't know how much slide processing cost thirty or forty years ago.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin