Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,899   Posts: 1,521,073   Online: 941

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    I can't help wondering whether the options of serious digital photographers are or will be soon be squeezed in much the same way as we analogue types found ourselves ten years ago.
    Maybe six months ago, maybe longer, I saw an advertisement from Sony? I think it was Sony? Anyway, the thrust of the ad was 'if you are serious about your pictures, you need to make them using a serious camera.' As I recall, prominently dislayed were a range of point-and-shoot digital compacts of the fat credit card form factor.

I took it as a direct slap at the wireless smart-gadget-of-the-hour crowd. And an expression of worry.

And exquisite irony.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 01-11-2013 at 12:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On this evenings TV news they say that all Jessops stores are now closed.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Well they went bankrupt before and they became inflexible. The shame is they took over so many good stores and ruined them.

Ian
    Agreed - that is what angers me. They had a policy of buying up all of the competition about 5 to 10 years ago - and then closing them down in many cases. They were a very active force in stamping out analogue photography and pushing digital.

Sure... it was going that way anyway and we should not overstate their role in the inevitable, but I'm sure they did play a big part in eradicating so many of the little side street enthusiasts shops that sold second hand analogue cameras, film, chemicals and paper... some of whom just might have been able to hang on if left alone.
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    We've all got good Jessops stories, I think, but they all happened a few decades ago.

I walked passed my local every week but couldn't bear to go in. Really boring stock, no bargain bins to rummage through and no interesting second hand stock. Remember the old days when Jessops had great window displays of exotic and unusual 2nd hand gear? I remember downstairs at the main Brum branch, full of enlargers, MF cameras and film in fridges. Always worth a root through the bargain bin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20992125
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    Agreed - that is what angers me. They had a policy of buying up all of the competition about 5 to 10 years ago - and then closing them down in many cases. They were a very active force in stamping out analogue photography and pushing digital.
    Time flies, I think they'd largely bought all the good camera stores about 10-15 years ago.

They did force people to go digital and that backfired on them. I gave a talk last Monday to a Camera Club, they told me they were mostly armchair photographers, few even print their images.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was surprised the stores closed so soon, what is likely to happen to all their stock?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    We've all got good Jessops stories, I think, but they all happened a few decades ago.
    Purchased some FP4+ when they had a three for two offer on film last year - Three boxes of 5x4 delivered to their store worked out way cheaper than buying online. Was going to go in again tomorrow to see if the offer was still running...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    I was surprised the stores closed so soon, what is likely to happen to all their stock?
    As typically when a retail business is physically closed by an administrator: brought together and sold in larger lots.
    Or taken back by a crediting supplier.

A sell-out would mean to open stores again for some days. Would that be likely after closing them? I guess not.
    Last edited by AgX; 01-11-2013 at 08:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    As typically when a retail business is physically closed by an administrator: brought together and sold in larger lots.
    Or taken back by a crediting supplier.

A sell-out would mean to open stores again for some days. Would that be likely after closing them? I guess not.
    The problem was the company did getsold for £1 not that long afo and was supposedly restructured.

The BBC TV neews here in the UK said the closure was after discussions with their suppliers, they had lost total confidence in the company. The real shame is that there were some good people working in the stores and in most towns jessops was the only photographic shop.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    An economics 'expert' on Radio 2 last night referred to "only a few remaining geeks who buy cameras"
    And they're all here!!

Unfortunately, Jessops didn't sell our sort of cameras.

Steve.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin