Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,861   Online: 1138

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Just as voters get the government they deserve, shoppers get the high-street they deserve, soon they won't be able to use the high-street as a place of demonstration and to handle the goods then buy them off the internet.
    Yes, but I stopped visiting Jessops a long time ago when they decided they were no longer interested in selling to me and chose to become a digital widget retailer instead. That was down to them, not me.

HMV lost my custom when they decided they were no longer music shops and became DVD / Blueray and computer games console distributers and squashed what little music they did stock into the bottom corner of the shop.

I went intio HMV at Christmas. It was heaving, uncomfortable, noisy, had massive queues, was noisy, had nothing I wanted and was noisy. Alas, the long queues seem not to have helped them...
    I went home and found what I wanted on Amazon - a much better experience all round - and you can preview the tracks on the album, something HMV stopped years go...

Personally I hate visiting shopping centres, now. Once you get past the age of being interested in what clothes you wear (actually, I never was....) then for a guy there is virtually nothing of any interest at all in a modern town centre or mall. They are mostly full of women's fashion shops, about the only shops left where the customer wants to look, feel and try on the merchandice. I might find a DIY or computer shop at the retail park - but there is nothing at all for me in the twn or high-street anymore.

I don't think that's because I've got the town centre I deserve - I just think that greedy landlords want huge rents, greedy government wants huge business rate payments - times are hard and the few huge companies who own virtually every shop in every town aren't interested in selling to the likes of me when they can shift large amounts of fashion items with a huge mark up to image conscious youngsters and women.
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    I went intio HMV at Christmas. It was heaving, uncomfortable, noisy, had massive queues, was noisy, had nothing I wanted and was noisy.
    Was it noisy by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    Once you get past the age of being interested in what clothes you wear (actually, I never was....)
    Me too. Most of my clothes come from charity shops. I'm interested in them, just not interested in them being fashionable.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=steven_e007;1447461]Yes, but I stopped visiting Jessops HMV lost my custom

Ah, so you are the cause of their problems. Don't open your door to any late night knocks. It will be Jeremy Paxman to grill you about why you caused the crisis

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    In Memoriam: Jessops (1935-2013), HMV (1921-2013).
    Comet (1933-2012), WH Smiths (1792-20..)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a thought inspired by HMV news: Maybe when the music industry stop paying pop artists top bucks, a new form of "real" music would emerge. A music for the music.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Comet (1933-2012), WH Smiths (1792-20..)
    Blockbuster (1985 - 2012)
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    High street multiple stores now closing at the rate of 35 a day in Britain, I wonder what our towns and citys will be like in five years because they aren't coming back, this isn't a trend, it's a revolution.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I wonder what our towns and citys will be like in five years.
    Discount stores, charity shops, drop in(out) centres, Starbucks, and Work Programme hell holes - Not quite there yet in these parts...

Shooter
    35mm
    I imagine a renewed city centre devoid of chain stores: a civic centre of galleries, libraries and public spaces. Independent stores able to capitalise upon lowered rents alongside pop-up enterprises on short-term leases. Spaces for experiment, for ideas, for meeting, for living. A civic centre without cars where people can breathe, speak in low volume, run, play and just be.

We can dream can't we?
    Steve.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    >>Me too. Most of my clothes come from charity shops. I'm interested in them, just not interested in them being fashionable. (Steve Smith)

Yup - turned up for work in my £3.00 charity shop coat today!
    I do draw the line at pants (in the English sense!) and socks, though!
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Roberts; 01-17-2013 at 07:10 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Omitted OP's text

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin