Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,726   Online: 754

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Jessops in Administration

I see jessops have gone into administration. Hardly surprising - they couldn't have made any margin on the hardware in such a competitive market and you have to sell a hell of a lot of add-ons to pay high street overheads. Doesn't affect us lot too much, but sad all the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well they went bankrupt before and they became inflexible. The shame is they took over so many good stores and ruined them.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm personally glad that less fools will be buying cameras on a Saturday shopping spree whim, letting their kids break them on Sunday, then returning them on Monday.

Jessops - the home of buyer's remorse.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the main problem Jessops had is that they did not sell anything which Argos over the road did not. They just stocked the run of the mill stuff that you could pick up from anywhere. Maybe if they'd stocked Leica, Sigma, Ricoh, stuff which you couldn't just pick up anywhere, they'd have had a chance. And, god forbid, maybe they could have stocked film cameras, they'd be probably the only chain in the UK that did, and maybe that would have brought people in.

They'll complain it's the economy, but it's not, it's because they were bad at what they did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    They'll complain it's the economy, but it's not, it's because they were bad at what they did.
    10 years ago Jessops were ready to float on the Stock Exchange, they'd bend over backwards to get anything you wanted, prices were competetive. However their chairman retired and bad management took them on the path to ruin. (I had dealings with the management and met the Chairman a few times outside of a Jessops context).

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    10 years ago Jessops were ready to float on the Stock Exchange, they'd bend over backwards to get anything you wanted, prices were competetive. However their chairman retired and bad management took them on the path to ruin. (I had dealings with the management and met the Chairman a few times outside of a Jessops context).

Ian
    Isn't that always the sad case? It takes a great leader ages to build something great but only a few short years for a bunch of MBA suited numbskulls to come and try to "revitalized" (cost cutting, outsourcing, and retrenchment) the business?

Sorry, I've seen it way too many times....great things brought down by a few young MBA certified people fresh from UNI who haven't built anything in their lives but only studied a few "business case studies" and think they know the industry in and out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just realised that I have a pile of unused and prepaid(!) Jessops E6 processing mailers. B*m.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Just realised that I have a pile of unused and prepaid(!) Jessops E6 processing mailers. B*m.
    Stick them on ebay, someone will buy them...

As for Jessops, a street interview outside one of their stores pretty much summed up the attitude of the masses. "I've got an iPhone that takes amazing photos, I don't need to buy a camera."

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    An economics 'expert' on Radio 2 last night referred to "only a few remaining geeks who buy cameras" (or something very similar, but he did use the word 'geeks'). I can't help wondering whether the options of serious digital photographers are or will be soon be squeezed in much the same way as we analogue types found ourselves ten years ago.
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    They have now closed for good starting today...

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin