Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,637   Online: 837

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Agfa is going to supply films to a former Kodak film division

The new owner of Kodak's microfilm division (sold by Kodak last year) has made a supply contract with Agfa on the supply of Agfa's microfilms to them becoming effective within the next half year.
    Furthermore the introduction of new products by Agfa for this business is indicated.

Agfa's films will be sold under the (Kodak-registered) tradename "Imagelink".

It has not been stated of or when Kodak will end supplying microfilms. However Agfa speaks of a significant increase in production, which implies that Kodak is retracting from such manufacture, if not already done.

Basically this means that Agfa takes over former Kodak's share on the worldmarket productionwise.

Seemingly Agfa will still be offering their microfilms directly which would mean that worlwide both companies would compete with the same films.

Wheras Agfa left the consumer field in 2004, Kodak did the last years the opposite by selling bit by bit their non-consumer film productions.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I dont know what is microfilm , is it for minox , smaller or bigger. Who uses microfilm , libraries , dentists or 8mm shooters.
    I love Agfa products most and its good to see they are manufacturing.

And a camera with long roll of micro size film would be decrease my costs and increase the quality and count.
    I still want to Buy a Leicina and 8 mm film and shoot thousands of frames one by one.

Can you shed a light little bit AgX ?

Thank you very much,

Umut

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Microfilms are high-resolution films, mostly halide films. Films for mircro-copying, that is exposing images extremely reduced in size.
    They have been used in most different fields, either for archiving (typically spooled films) or distributing (microfiche).

Digital data processing and storing has taken part of the market for microfilms. However due to its longterm stability microfilm is ideal for archiving, especially as security copy.

Those high-resolution films for pictorial use are typically based on microfilms with modified development.
    Last edited by AgX; 01-14-2013 at 02:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At Agfa it is assumed that this contract will necessitate additional 10-15 jobs (out 12.000).
    However in the longrun this add-up will be outbalanced by a forthgoing reduction of the number of employees at their chemical plant due the decline of sales of film in general.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Microfilm is for things like long term document archival, like newspaper archives. When I was a kid I could go to the library, look up a paper in the index, and pull the microfilm reels for the year. There were microfilm machines that you could wind up on it for viewing. Last time I was at the library, there weren't any machines, the archives weren't there, and the online archives only went back a few years. Welcome to the digital age. "We Won't Remember It For You" (A take on Philip K. Dick's, "We Will Remember It For You, Wholesale")

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agfa has meanwhile transfered the sale of their microfilms solely to that company (Eastman Park Micrographics).
    All Agfa microfilms will now bear the former Kodak designation Imagelink.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Wouldn't it be nice if AGFA could supply E-6 reversal film for Kodak to sell to us in Ektachrome's absence ?
    - Bill Lynch

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, you can buy Agfa E-6 film, depending on format, either directly from Agfa or from converting companies.

But as still photography's Kodak is New Kodak now, a new entity as with that microfilm department... who knows.
    Last edited by AgX; 06-19-2013 at 04:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Should be good for the continuing availability of CMS20, for those who are into it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just out of curiosity, will Agfa be replacing Kodak's film with theirs (which I'm guessing) or will they coat to the same or similar specs to Kodak microfilm? In other words, Agfa in a Kodak box, or Kodak made by Agfa?
    Truzi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin