Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,483,009   Online: 767

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some Good News

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Now he's really gone and painted himself into a corner. I've already decided that I'm never going to die...

Ken
    If anybody can make money on something like film it's the Asians. The Japanese took the West's lunch once already in Photography, it might be a point of national pride to keep that industry from going to the Chinese or disappearing altogether. The Japanese need all the pride they can muster right now, it's been a hard twenty years for them.

I'm convinced there is now, and will continue to be, sufficient demand for B&W emulsions for at least two very efficient, properly scaled producers. If it's a last man standing war of attrition then one, maybe producing a very simple emulsion, like pre-2009 Tri-X. It has to be scaled right; there's no margin for error there. Chromes will eeck out a niche somehow.

s-a

PS - Do continue not dying. It's extra insurance.
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    IIRC, Komori said in another interview, "As long as just one photographer is still using film, we will keep producing it."
    I remember that too. I wish I had that interview in full.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seemingly that did not apply for cinematographers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I once worked for a mega corporation where the management was affirmatively declaring to anyone who would listen that "we will never divest of Division X" at the same time that active discussions were underway to divest of Division X. They ultimately divested of Division X. I think Fuji's ceasing production of movie film is telling. Words are cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by newcan1 View Post
    I once worked for a mega corporation where the management was affirmatively declaring to anyone who would listen that "we will never divest of Division X" at the same time that active discussions were underway to divest of Division X. They ultimately divested of Division X. I think Fuji's ceasing production of movie film is telling. Words are cheap.
    Fujifilm is a bit player in the motion picture world. I have NEVER seen a credit to FUJIFILM during the ending credits in any film that I have watched and I'm 45 and have watched a lot of films. I'm also one of those geeks who sits through the ending credits.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Fujifilm is a bit player in the motion picture world. I have NEVER seen a credit to FUJIFILM during the ending credits in any film that I have watched and I'm 45 and have watched a lot of films. I'm also one of those geeks who sits through the ending credits.
    Attack the Block
    Black Swan
    Hereafter
    Knight and Day
    Slumdog Millionaire
    The Fighter
    The Hurt Locker
    The King's Speech
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

But you are right, mainstream Hollywood stuck with Kodak. Fuji was quite popular in Bollywood, and for European films (lower budgets - Fuji was cheaper).
    This was not minor business, regarding how much film is used to finish a complex production (compared to a few holiday films for a 35mm snapshooter).

Georg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin