Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,666   Online: 803

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    A great time for some pros too...
    i agree
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't care what anyone says-I've never had it better.I'm paying less for film now than I did in the 90's.Equipment has become affordable-I've got all kinds of equipment now that I could only wish I had back then,and I can read and learn about printing and processing online,whereas before I was on my own.Let's enjoy it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    I don't care what anyone says-I've never had it better.I'm paying less for film now than I did in the 90's.Equipment has become affordable-I've got all kinds of equipment now that I could only wish I had back then,and I can read and learn about printing and processing online,whereas before I was on my own.Let's enjoy it!
    An excellent summation of today. The only down side to the present time is the much lower selection of available films. Other than that, this is the golden time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    1910 ?
    The more I read about it the more likely those years become. Seems photography was pretty big around 1910 with the Kodak cameras. It's just that the 50s the 60s 70s 80s sales must have doubled many many many times in that period right? Still hard to fathom that 10% of 2000 sales might be the amount of film sold in those early days...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    An excellent summation of today. The only down side to the present time is the much lower selection of available films. Other than that, this is the golden time.
    Both responses are a very good summation of the current analogue environment. I'm happy with my lot and wouldn't be too concerned to get carried away with dooms day prophecies.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinten View Post
    The more I read about it the more likely those years become. Seems photography was pretty big around 1910 with the Kodak cameras. It's just that the 50s the 60s 70s 80s sales must have doubled many many many times in that period right? Still hard to fathom that 10% of 2000 sales might be the amount of film sold in those early days...

i don't know ...
    there were a ton of movies made back in the early days
    does movie film count ?

http://www.filmsite.org/pre20sintro.html
    Last edited by jnanian; 01-20-2013 at 08:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    The only down side to the present time is the much lower selection of available films. Other than that, this is the golden time.
    These old masters, they would have happily and without hesitation chucked out their whole big palette of film available to them back then, if you would have offered them Portra 400, Delta 3200 and Provia 400X instead. We ARE lucky bastards.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I believe the biggest year for film sales was actually 1989 :

You cannot compare the state of the market, as AGX says, before then everyone was growing after that everyone was declining, also we ( HARMAN ) look only at monochrome which was always 'tiny' by volume compared to the colour 35mm market.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    I believe the biggest year for film sales was actually 1989 :

You cannot compare the state of the market, as AGX says, before then everyone was growing after that everyone was declining, also we ( HARMAN ) look only at monochrome which was always 'tiny' by volume compared to the colour 35mm market.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    The Ilford management should have been an example to AGFA and Kodak. (Maybe that is generalization but all the intentions at Ilford seem toward a healthy film market, even if this means a lot smaller.)

And yes in a way this still is a golden film time, don't forget PanF Rudeofus

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Ilford management should have been an example to AGFA and Kodak.
    Well, Agfa got rid of their consumer film division, Kodak not. Look now who is the more successful company...

Though the question remains how they got rid of that division.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin