Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,799   Online: 779

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Current film sales comparable to what time in history?

According to Fujifilm 2000 was the peak year in global film sales. Today sales are at 10% of that peak. It's little compared to the peak, but 10% from that peak still seems substantial. It made me wonder in what period sales where comparable, early 90's, early 80's?

And if that is the case today's market should be sufficient to maintain a steady production right? If only todays managers had the same passion George Eastman had when he started Kodak!

Source for the yr. 2000 and the 10% is Yojiro Yamashita from Fujifilm in this article: http://monocle.com/magazine/issues/60/renewal-process/ (Posted earlier by RattyMouse in another threat on another subject.)

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What do you mean by steady production? Manufacturing 24/7 ? At all manufacturers?

Comparing production figures from now with those from decades ago is only one part of the story. In the last decades severe changes in production technique have taken place, which make it not easy to crank down production. However, as positive aspect, those machines should be written off by now so this part of the costs is of lesser influence.

To be fair to those managers, Eastman and Gevaert and all those hands-on entrepreneurs were facing a growing market, the market of today typically is still declining, in part has even collapsed.
    Last edited by AgX; 01-20-2013 at 04:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is more likely to be read that 90% of the analogue market (film) has gone, shifted to the alternative.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    It is more likely to be read that 90% of the analogue market (film) has gone, shifted to the alternative.
    That's how I read it, too. Down 90% from peak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    maybe it is the same as it was in about 1899?

not much film is being made and sold today
    and not much film was being made and sold in 1899 as well.
    every few years it is a few more years into the 1800s ... pretty soon
    it will be 1870 ...
    the only difference is in addition to all the non-film processes,
    ( calotypes+salt prints, wet + dry plates, tin(aluma)types+ambrotypes and dags )
    we will still have the very best of 2013+ b/w + colour films .. and
    hybrid processes as well...

a very fun and interesting time to be a non-professional photographer !
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    What do you mean by steady production? Manufacturing 24/7 ? At all manufacturers?

Comparing production figures from now with those from decades ago is only one part of the story. In the last decades severe changes in production technique have taken place, which make it not easy to crank down production. However, as positive aspect, those machines should be written off by now so this part of the costs is of lesser influence.

To be fair to those managers, Eastman and Gevaert and all those entrepreneurs were facing a growing market, the market of today typically is still declining, in part has even collapsed.
    Indeed many things have changed, so its more of a global estimate I was looking for. Might be interesting to know how the use of film grew and declined in numbers. I am pretty sure 1899 wasn't 10% of 2000 sales, like jnanian suggests.

You are right I should have asked about sales instead of the amount manufactured, that depends on more aspects in the production proces.

And yes of course 10% left means 90% lost
    Last edited by Quinten; 01-20-2013 at 04:18 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: language

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinten View Post
    I am pretty sure 1899 wasn't 10% of 2000 sales, like jnanian suggests.

And yes of course 10% left means 90% lost
    1910 ?
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The peak in world-production of photographic materials was about ten years earlier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    a very fun and interesting time to be a non-professional photographer !
    A great time for some pros too...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 01-20-2013 at 06:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still us it as much as I ever have.
    no dropoff

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin