Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,992   Posts: 1,524,226   Online: 1128

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Countryfile Program Features Film Shooting

Here in the UK, I watched the ITV show Countryfile last night. They were talking about a famous photographer of the 1950's who photographed Exmoor National Park. To my surprise and delight, they went out to "Recreate one of his shots" and I assumed they meant doing it digitally. But no, they got a fellow film photographer to shoot the same scene and then showed him developing and printing the shot. It was a really good and enthusiastic portrayal of shooting film.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ryfile_Exmoor/
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nice! Just one little thing: since when BBC turned into ITV?
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look at those light leaks in the barn. I'm amazed they got a picture at all. Although the Leitz focomat enlarger was nice to see in action.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    UK only.
    Too bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    Nice! Just one little thing: since when BBC turned into ITV?
    Yeah, fair point. Good spot. I meant BBC, silly Ted.

I thought the same about the barn! I moved heaven and earth to cut out light leaks in my attic room when I do home dev'ing and I still got the odd tiny bit coming through. How on earth he managed that print without major fogging is beyond me, but hey. It was still good to see the BBC covering film for a change.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well Ted, the barn seemed much bigger than most home darkrooms so the light leaks may be more easily dissipated and be effectively reduced on the inverse square principle. Secondly it made me wonder whether we obsess too much over tiny leaks especially where the leak isn't in a direct path to the paper. A tiny leak under a door which is well below the level and not in a direct line to the easel or the trays may well be inconsequential

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did'nt see the programme sadly...

Ahhh...a little trick when filming in darkrooms....not enough light for filming so what most film / tv production people do is make a proper print ( in a darkroom ) then bleach it out, then bring it up in sepia in the light when filming, not saying thats what they did as I did not see the programme, but thats what we have advised many film and tv people to do in the past.

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN tecnology Limited :

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Having worked in TV for many years, you learn not to believe anything you see on the box! The finished print that was examined closely may or may not have been the same one that was developed in the barn!

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another illusion shattered!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    I did'nt see the programme sadly...

Ahhh...a little trick when filming in darkrooms....not enough light for filming so what most film / tv production people do is make a proper print ( in a darkroom ) then bleach it out, then bring it up in sepia in the light when filming, not saying thats what they did as I did not see the programme, but thats what we have advised many film and tv people to do in the past.

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN tecnology Limited :
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin