Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,971   Online: 1177

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sad to see but it's the reality

"Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A sad story but interesting reading none-the-less. Thanks. Change is inexorable and it will happen whether or not we are willing to accept it. I do not believe that film will ever actually disappear, but it will certainly look a lot different.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I guess some will go away, but I can only say that in the past year, two new labs have opened in the UK that I know of. I've used them both, and one (AG Photo Lab) has become my regular.

Companies which adapt to change can thrive, those who stick to the old ways will perish. In London, you see little record shops all over the place, but HMV and Virgin Megastore are gone (or almost gone).

Film is of course now a niche, but so are vinyl EPs and mechanical watches, but each survive as they have adapted to their new market, and not attempted to compete against commodity markets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now that sounds hopeful. Personally, there will always be film.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Change is inexorable and it will happen whether or not we are willing to accept it.
    Not so, no. Change is driven. By individuals or altered conditions. It's never inexorable. Only the passage of time is inexorable.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not all doom and gloom, my friend works at this Denver based store and says their lab is doing really good numbers:

http://englewoodcamera.com/

Remember folks, quality, not quantity...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sad story, but that tired photo essay was even sadder, driven as it was by the current philosophy of "photograph everything and say nothing." Without the words you would have absolutely no reason to look at those photographs.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    Sad story, but that tired photo essay was even sadder, driven as it was by the current philosophy of "photograph everything and say nothing." Without the words you would have absolutely no reason to look at those photographs.
    I didn't think it was so bad. Some images better than others, much less interesting without the words, but I thought it was OK.

It sounds as though they were getting along until circumstances would have forced them to move. I'm just guessing, but that might be the situation of a lot of labs---enough business to sustain themselves, but not enough money in hand to cushion them in case of crisis.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Not all doom and gloom, my friend works at this Denver based store and says their lab is doing really good numbers:

http://englewoodcamera.com/

Remember folks, quality, not quantity...
    A few weeks ago they told me that, too. I also hear pretty good news on increased film sales and processing business from the people at Denver ProPhoto.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry to hear. In my area one lab closes but another one opens up.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin