Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,421   Online: 1038

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Emerging Kodak

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Roger - corps are dropping like flies, and generally due to sheer stupidity ... lemming mentality. If one corporation shoots themself in the foot, their competitiors will do exactly the same.

Whenever possible, I try to deal with privately-held manufacturers which are at least somewhat buffered from the worst of this, though there is usually some smart-alec MBA who manages to make a mess before eventually
    getting fired.

It's a parasitic profession, kinda like going to a surgeon who had never even taken a biology class or dissected a frog first. Part of my job is predicting what direction mfgs will head into.

If a bunch of twenty-something MBA's get dropped into the hierarchy, it's time to run away from that outfit - fast. Or if you work for someone like that, look for another job fast. Usually the only person more incompetent is the CEO who hired them.
    It's called Equity Extraction and it is by design.

Basically a Vampire operation to suck decades or centuries of 'value' out of assets (plants, real estate) that was bought and paid for long ago. Suck out the blood and toss the carcass aside.

Taught by all the 'best' business schools. A direct result of the preponderance of MBA's since the 1970s.

Oh, and I might add, the BOD and CEO are in on it.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At one time I had a MBA supervisor who had run out of gas in his car and was asked to go help him out and found him searching the owners manual for what to do in case you ran out of gas. I carried a gas can and said lets go get some gas and we got his car started. Sometimes book knowledge doesn't replace common sense. I think some MBAs couldn't run a Hot Dog Stand!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by noacronym View Post
    Or it could get sold to the Chinese.
    During the '50s, my Dad worked on an expansion of a paper mill in Port St. Joe, Florida. Many years later (about 2003) I happened to drive through the city and everything was gone. I was told all the paper making equipment was sold to a company in China; the mill had deep water access, so the Chinese simply brought in a freighter and picked it all up.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a worldwide growing overcapacity in film manufacture.
    China is a forerunner in digitalisation. What would China need a film plant for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Long ago I suggested that China could save film. I was roundly thrashed for thinking that was possible.

No one has any hope for the future of film. It's always "that can't be done" yada yada...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    My reply re your China can Save Film theory is that China doesn't have a name. A name is everything. As I sit here and type on my Foxconn phone (I mean iPhone), ask yourself if your really think China can save film? Or can Kidak possible lease its name to say Lucky who might manufacture it? I highly doubt as Lucky just ended their color lines. Ratty I just respectfully disagree with your premise....
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ratty in addition to the practical theory I have above, think about the emotional....you see a lot of, "...my Dad handed me a roll of X to load in the Z camera and at that moment, I was hooked for life on X film....".

That is what we are talking about. Artistic tools like brushes, paints, film, etc., have this realm that it hard to quantify and just delegate to another entity....just my $0.02..
    Andy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    China can't save film simply because they've basically skipped from not having a camera to cameras in cell phones. Why bother with a film camera when you already have a camera in your cell phone, and its quality is good enough for you? So they aren't buying a lot of digital cameras, either.

Kodak tried investing in Chinese film production, and then dropped it altogether and wrote it off the books.

(Personally, there's no point to sitting tight and waiting it out. Time to go shoot film!)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    I carried a gas can and said lets go get some gas and we got his car started. Sometimes book knowledge doesn't replace common sense. I think some MBAs couldn't run a Hot Dog Stand!
    An MBA has a puncture and while changing the tyre manages to let all four wheel nuts roll down a drain. He realises that he might miss a very important meeting. He stands there distraught. A very unprepossessing stranger walks by and asks what the trouble is. The MBA explains and the stranger thinks for a moment says that if he took a wheel nut off each of the other three wheels he could secure the fourth wheel and drive carefully to the nearest garage for a set of wheel nuts.

The MBA is so overjoyed that he offers the stranger a lift home. The stranger says that it is OK as he just lives across the road and points to a lunatic asylum.

The aghast MBA says: "You've been advising me on a complicated technical matter and you are a certified lunatic!"

The stranger replies: " I am afraid so but at least it is better than being stupid"

pentaxuser

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The MBA rolls his new BMW into a ditch and totals it. He crawl out all bloody, crying about his car.
    Someone stops to help him, "Sir, I wouldn't worry about that car ... did you know your arm got ripped
    off?" Then the MBA really starts bawling, "Oh, my Rolex, my Rolex, I lost my Rolex!"

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin