Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,060   Online: 1101

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Emerging Kodak

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    China can't save film simply because they've basically skipped from not having a camera to cameras in cell phones. Why bother with a film camera when you already have a camera in your cell phone, and its quality is good enough for you? So they aren't buying a lot of digital cameras, either.

Kodak tried investing in Chinese film production, and then dropped it altogether and wrote it off the books.

(Personally, there's no point to sitting tight and waiting it out. Time to go shoot film!)
    I see people shooting film here ALL the time here in Shanghai. Hell there are 4 or 5 stores that I know of that sell NOTHING but film. I am sure there are many more I have never seen. Also, there are thousands upon thousands of used film cameras in the shops here. All doing very decent business.

There is clearly a film shooting crowd here in China. Surely this should be cultivated and grown by the film producers. The sheer potential market in China is always amazing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a few weeks ago I was out wandering the city with my camera when I turned the corner and ran into a group of young Chinese photographers. All had Hasselblads and were clearly film shooters. Nice to see.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If Chinese film could be made with the quality of Kodak or Ilford film, I'd buy it. Unfortunately, my last experience with Chinese large format film was, shall we say... not terribly positive.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I see people shooting film here ALL the time here in Shanghai. Hell there are 4 or 5 stores that I know of that sell NOTHING but film. I am sure there are many more I have never seen. Also, there are thousands upon thousands of used film cameras in the shops here. All doing very decent business.

There is clearly a film shooting crowd here in China. Surely this should be cultivated and grown by the film producers. The sheer potential market in China is always amazing.

Based on the ending of Lucky's color line recently, I take the dissent re your theory.
    http://english.cntv.cn/program/newsu...0/106503.shtml

However, China, like all countries, will continue to have analog diehards, I just have this theory that their % of diehards is not as high as you might think when scaled as a % of tot pop (I've no fact to support, just my guess)....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If there is demand for film in China, the Chinese should buy film manufactured by Kodak and Ilford in the U.S. and U.K. We don't need more brands. We need support for Kodak and Ilford products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    If there is demand for film in China, the Chinese should buy film manufactured by Kodak and Ilford in the U.S. and U.K. We don't need more brands. We need support for Kodak and Ilford products.
    Eyeballing the film stores that I frequent here I'd say that Ilford and Fuji are the films most used with Kodak a distant 3rd.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Could the fact that film is sold in shops be more of a technological-gap-phenomenon and not really evidence of any more/less analog'ers in China? I bet, that more than 50% of film in the states is supplied via online (Bh, Adorama, Freestyle, etc) and mom/pop shops are less so here due to the (possible) faster change in e commerce in the states vs China? Food for thought....
    Andy

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin