Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,061   Online: 997

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    kodak was dumping inventory at cost, their loss is our gain.

keep in mind that at that price 20 rolls is equal in cost, and yield to a 100 foot roll and you get the stuff pre-rolled for free. Great deal. Will have to order another 20 or so.
    Actually this could be good news for us.

It isn't the old days anymore, when who knows how many rolls were sold through pharmacies and corner stores and groceries to people who didn't know they could get it cheaper from B&H (even pre-Internet, I used to order from them pretty regularly, just pick up the phone.) Now film shooters, especially black and white, tend to be pretty serious hobbyists and everyone knows how to use Google. Tri-X may still be Kodak's best selling black and white film (I hope so, it's certainly my favorite of what they have left.) It doesn't make any sense to dump it at cost to a store that will re-sell it to your core audience half what the branded product costs. You're just undercutting yourself. Ilford apparently figured this out too - remember when Freestyle sold all the major Ilford films in cheaper store brands? I do. In fact I have an unopened but poorly stored probably useless 100' roll of "D-Max 400" that everyone knew was Delta 400.

Of course not everyone who shoots Tri-X and is online knew that Arista Premium is Tri-X, but it doesn't take much looking to figure that out, even accidentally.

I'm glad Foma will continue, I don't shoot it in 35mm but I do like getting cheap Foma in 120 to try out cameras and developers and generally experiment, and in 4x5 and if I ever go 8x10 the price is appealing. Hopefully they still make money on the Arista branded films.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I love Fomapan in 120 and when I do get into 4x5 I hope Fomapan will still be available.

I hope Freestyle can get a replacement for the Legacy Pro and Arista Premium lines.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, this is quite the news!

I still have a couple hundred rolls left but it cups bad in my neck of the woods so I have been trying other stock...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I get my tax refund I'll probably replenish my supply. It's such wonderful film.
    The cupping that Dan refers to above is actually good for me, because it keeps me away from scanning film. (My crappy Espon scanner has film holders that couldn't hold film flat if their life depended on it). It forces me into the darkroom, and that's where I love to be.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    All of the Arista products come-and-go depending on availability of supply. This news is not a big surprise to me. What it means about the future of Tri-X is anyones guess right now.
    All it means is that if you want Tri-X, your'e going to have to buy it from Kodak. Selling it to Freestyle as rebranded film, cheaper than Tri-X, is no way for Kodak to make money.

Jim B.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Depending on who (if anyone) buys the Kodak film distribution business, we might see even more private labeling and store brands of Kodak film.

Fujifilm seems to have embraced this strategy with its consumer color films.

I hope we see the arrival of boutique films, made on occasion. Special runs of Panatomic-X or Verichrome Pan, for example. The film community would eat that stuff up.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Depending on who (if anyone) buys the Kodak film distribution business, we might see even more private labeling and store brands of Kodak film.

Fujifilm seems to have embraced this strategy with its consumer color films.

I hope we see the arrival of boutique films, made on occasion. Special runs of Panatomic-X or Verichrome Pan, for example. The film community would eat that stuff up.
    Remember Ilford's bankruptcy/receivership business only a few years ago? They withdrew all third party private label product branding when they re-formed the company.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Remember Ilford's bankruptcy/receivership business only a few years ago? They withdrew all third party private label product branding when they re-formed the company.
    However .....

Ilford is happy to do custom manufacture of private label products that are designed to meet customers' requirements.

So Ilford (or maybe in the future Kodak or Fuji or Agfa) could be hired to produce Freestyle's in-house designed house brand film for them.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Fujifilm seems to have embraced this [private labelling] strategy with its consumer color films.
    We must not forget that Ferrania who had this as major outlet of their films is out of the game.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    However .....

Ilford is happy to do custom manufacture of private label products that are designed to meet customers' requirements.

So Ilford (or maybe in the future Kodak or Fuji or Agfa) could be hired to produce Freestyle's in-house designed house brand film for them.
    So can we get together and have them make some more paper and chemistry to print chromes again?

Also, anyone know if Kodak still has the capability to produce Verichrome? if there were a large special order?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin