Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,928   Posts: 1,556,826   Online: 887

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Sale Near

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Sale Near

This article mentions that a big chunk of Kodak is about to be sold off. Yet there is no mention of film. Can anyone understand what this means for Kodak's film division?

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...ue&ref=wl_home

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think this means much. Here in Rochester there have been rumors only of a buyer. I'll believe it when I see it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Personalized Imaging" includes the sale and distribution of still film and colour paper.

They plan on retaining manufacture of still film and colour paper, as well as the manufacture, sale and distribution of motion picture film.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Anyone care to comment on whether the reinstatement of E6 films is a technical possibility for any new buyer? I'm not going to dwell on the economics, but wonder if the equipment still exists and is serviceable if the will was there.
    Best wishes,
    Steve

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    E-6 film manufacture does not need any other machinery than any other multi-layer (as C-41 film) film manufacture.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    E-6 film manufacture does not need any other machinery than any other multi-layer (as C-41 film) film manufacture.
    There is/was quite a bit of specialized chemistry (sensitizers, dye couplers, ...) necessary for each E6 product which may have been discontinued after (or before?) Kodak dumped their E6 line of products.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    There is/was quite a bit of specialized chemistry (sensitizers, dye couplers, ...) necessary for each E6 product which may have been discontinued after (or before?) Kodak dumped their E6 line of products.
    Fuji still makes E6. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but the chemicals are out there somewhere.

That said, I still doubt kodak will restart making E6. There's a reason why they stopped in the first place. Then again, I can't even remotely claim to have any knowledge of the subject other than speculation, so...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NolanGalbreath View Post
    Fuji still makes E6. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but the chemicals are out there somewhere.
    That doesn't mean that Fuji's emulsions use the same sensitizers or dyes as Kodak does, note that their characteristics are quite different, and also don't forget that patents exist on many of these compounds to prevent copycat products. Add to that the fact that Fuji might well synthesize some of these compounds specifically for their own product line with no intention to jump start competitors.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    even without competitors Fuji is raping their own E6 line.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    even without competitors Fuji is raping their own E6 line.
    What????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin