Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,857   Online: 938

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Fuji news, Feb. 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    You think you've got something to whinge about?
    In Australia, Velvia 50 135/36 is $32 a roll. Or $164 for a ProPack (5).
    So there must be room for you to pay a bit more with the next scheduled increase...
    Wow!!! If I visit, am I allowed to bring my own?

I would think shipping it from B&H would still save you money with those prices...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you send too much film on ahead of you at one time, they will levy a business/professional tax on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Wow!!! If I visit, am I allowed to bring my own?

I would think shipping it from B&H would still save you money with those prices...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually obtain my Velvia & Provia from eBay. At around $5.95/roll (5 Pack). Retailers at GST, mark up, arbitrary margin... all manner of things that have yet to be satisfactorily explained for the unreasonably high price that is shifting buyers away from bricks and mortar to online.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Fuji news, Feb. 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    If you send too much film on ahead of you at one time, they will levy a business/professional tax on it.
    Well I wouldn't ship it at all, I would carry it on the plane with me. That was my question, can I do that?

~Stone

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I wouldn't ship it at all, I would carry it on the plane with me. That was my question, can I do that?

~Stone

Carry "what" and "how much" of it on the plane?
    This is the grey area. If Customs views your film cache as a "commercial quantity", it will be subjected to GST and importation charges unless you can prove it is not a commercial quantity (and that is the tricky part!). You can buy film here, or its purchase can be arranged for you online by any person you organise it with. Besides which, buying retail film in Australia is quite silly and strictly for emergencies; online has made a severe impact on bricks and mortar dispensing of film and will continue to do so as prices rise.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Fuji news, Feb. 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Carry "what" and "how much" of it on the plane?
    This is the grey area. If Customs views your film cache as a "commercial quantity", it will be subjected to GST and importation charges unless you can prove it is not a commercial quantity (and that is the tricky part!). You can buy film here, or its purchase can be arranged for you online by any person you organise it with. Besides which, buying retail film in Australia is quite silly and strictly for emergencies; online has made a severe impact on bricks and mortar dispensing of film and will continue to do so as prices rise.
    Right but shipping to Australia is ALSO expensive, why spend all that extra money when I can buy it at B&H and just carry it.

Maybe if I unwrap them all it would prove I'm not in it to be commercial as you can't sell open packages?

Depends on how long I would be staying. A rough estimate/guesstimate ... 2-3 rolls of Velvia and 2-4 rolls of B&W per day spent in Australia.

So if I came for a week, 2 bricks of Velvia, 2 bricks of Acros, 2 of PanF+ and maybe 1 Delta3200 and one Delta 400?

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Right but shipping to Australia is ALSO expensive, why spend all that extra money when I can buy it at B&H and just carry it.

Maybe if I unwrap them all it would prove I'm not in it to be commercial as you can't sell open packages?

Depends on how long I would be staying. A rough estimate/guesstimate ... 2-3 rolls of Velvia and 2-4 rolls of B&W per day spent in Australia.

So if I came for a week, 2 bricks of Velvia, 2 bricks of Acros, 2 of PanF+ and maybe 1 Delta3200 and one Delta 400?

~Stone

I'd be more concerned with the immigration authorities - they might assume you are there to work, and ask you for your work Visa (after googling you, of course).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Fuji news, Feb. 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I'd be more concerned with the immigration authorities - they might assume you are there to work, and ask you for your work Visa (after googling you, of course).
    Well as a photographer, all vacations are "work vacations" so that's confusing...

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well as a photographer, all vacations are "work vacations" so that's confusing...

~Stone

You need to check to find out if you require a Visa/permit.

Many countries do.

If I cross the border into the USA (a 15 minute drive on a good day) and say that I'm picking up something photographic the US border officials will often question me carefully about my intentions, because:

1) If they think I am working as a photographer when I am in the USA (including shooting stock, or on spec) they will exclude me from the country, unless I have obtained the necessary Visa/permit ahead of time; and
    2) If they think that I am acquiring commercial goods from the USA, for import to Canada, I also need to prepare the appropriate commercial export paperwork.

Having high-end equipment when you travel raises suspicion - expect them to try to find your web presence.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Fuji news, Feb. 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    You need to check to find out if you require a Visa/permit.

Many countries do.

If I cross the border into the USA (a 15 minute drive on a good day) and say that I'm picking up something photographic the US border officials will often question me carefully about my intentions, because:

1) If they think I am working as a photographer when I am in the USA (including shooting stock, or on spec) they will exclude me from the country, unless I have obtained the necessary Visa/permit ahead of time; and
    2) If they think that I am acquiring commercial goods from the USA, for import to Canada, I also need to prepare the appropriate commercial export paperwork.

Having high-end equipment when you travel raises suspicion - expect them to try to find your web presence.
    What if I'm traveling into Canada to make prints from negatives from a printer in Canada? Is that also not ok?

~Stone

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin