Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,218   Online: 945

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Almost everything is okay - it is just that sometimes you need to get the right paperwork.

You need to fit into the right category in order to be able to do what you want in what is actually a foreign country.

And there are a lot of available categories.

The examples I referred to in my post are just there to illustrate the hoops that your country puts some people through.

True (if somewhat dated) story:

I worked as a Canadian customs and immigration officer during two years in the 1980s. I dealt with an individual who was publishing a local newsletter targeted at people in small communities on either side of the border. For a while he was handling everything including advertising sales on both sides of the boundary. He was a US citizen and resident.

He arrived at the border as usual one day on his way to see some potential Canadian advertisers. He was referred for secondary immigration examination. It was determined that he had been working (selling ads) in Canada for some time, without a work permit.

When I last heard, he was detained and being considered for permanent deportation - which would mean being barred from ever entering Canada again.

The only difference if the situation had been reversed and he had been a Canadian selling ads in the US? The deportation would have been more likely, and the border and immigration authorities would have been much more heavily armed (the cells in the US were also much more extensive and heavily used).

There are a whole bunch of new rules since then which make it much easier to either obtain a permit or fit within an exception that doesn't even require a permit, but you need to educate yourself about the restrictions and requirements concerning what you intend to do. I certainly am not the person to ask about the details.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Fuji news, Feb. 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Almost everything is okay - it is just that sometimes you need to get the right paperwork.

You need to fit into the right category in order to be able to do what you want in what is actually a foreign country.

And there are a lot of available categories.

The examples I referred to in my post are just there to illustrate the hoops that your country puts some people through.

True (if somewhat dated) story:

I worked as a Canadian customs and immigration officer during two years in the 1980s. I dealt with an individual who was publishing a local newsletter targeted at people in small communities on either side of the border. For a while he was handling everything including advertising sales on both sides of the boundary. He was a US citizen and resident.

He arrived at the border as usual one day on his way to see some potential Canadian advertisers. He was referred for secondary immigration examination. It was determined that he had been working (selling ads) in Canada for some time, without a work permit.

When I last heard, he was detained and being considered for permanent deportation - which would mean being barred from ever entering Canada again.

The only difference if the situation had been reversed and he had been a Canadian selling ads in the US? The deportation would have been more likely, and the border and immigration authorities would have been much more heavily armed (the cells in the US were also much more extensive and heavily used).

There are a whole bunch of new rules since then which make it much easier to either obtain a permit or fit within an exception that doesn't even require a permit, but you need to educate yourself about the restrictions and requirements concerning what you intend to do. I certainly am not the person to ask about the details.
    Who is? I think the whole thing is dumb, who cares who works where, especially people living on the border.

Anyway seriously how would I even know who to contact to ask? Thanks.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Who is? I think the whole thing is dumb, who cares who works where, especially people living on the border.

Anyway seriously how would I even know who to contact to ask? Thanks.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Canadian consulate. Or in the case of Australia, the Australian consulate.

Here is a link to a website for a company that is in the business of assisting people who want to do temporary work in Canada.

I am sure that they charge a fee. I expect there are similar companies that do the same thing in Australia.

http://www.canadaworkpermit.com/work...days-2254.html

And with respect to your "who cares" comment, I'm assuming that if I were to try and shoot commercially 15 minutes and a few miles south of me in Washington State, you would be happy and step up to help me to get me out of your country's jails.
    Last edited by MattKing; 03-16-2013 at 11:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Fuji news, Feb. 2013

Canadian consulate. Or in the case of Australia, the Australian consulate.

Here is a link to a website for a company that is in the business of assisting people who want to do temporary work in Canada.

I am sure that they charge a fee. I expect there are similar companies that do the same thing in Australia.

http://www.canadaworkpermit.com/work...days-2254.html

And with respect to your "who cares" comment, I'm assuming that if I were to try and shoot commercially 15 minutes and a few miles south of me in Washington State, you would be happy and step up to help me to get me out of your country's jails.
    I just don't see the point, my perspective comes from childhood, the neighbor on the other side of my street was in a different area with respect to phone numbers than I was, and so if we wanted to call them, it was long distance.... I just thought that was dumb, there should be a radius from your base location (home) where you can work and go to school and drive too without being harassed and charged.

If I take a picture in Moscow and sell that, in America I'm not paying Moscow for that image ... You pay the taxes in the place you SELL an item. If a painter paints half a painting in one country, and half in the other, but the painting is of a 3rd location, would you expect to pay a tax in all 3 countries, no of course not, you expect to pay SALES tax.

On top of it, if I'm driving to Canada to buy something (a product, in this case paper/print) I'm stimulating the Canadian economy, I shouldn't have to pay additional fees for that...that's a disincentive which pushed people AWAY from doing business and takes money out of the Canadian pool, it's a foolish thing for them to do to me.

I'm just smarter than most other people so it's hard to deal with it all sometimes...

(Yes that last sentence is half a joke, however I can't deny I feel like that a lot of the time... Not here on APUG but dealing with "normal people" lol). In fairness my father is a theoretical physical chemist and physicist and I have 4 generations of engineers and we all tend to have IQ's in the 140-160 range... So I'm not completely incorrect. It also means I'm stupid in other ways, like not knowing who famous people are, or what sport team won what championship, but that's a product of focus and interest I suppose...

~Stone

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are heading to Canada to buy something or some service, no paperwork is required (as far as Canada is concerned).

In your earlier post, you indicated that you were heading to Canada to "make prints from negatives" (your words). If that is for a commercial purpose, that would be working in Canada, which would get you into trouble, unless you get the right permits.

If you travel here on holiday, and take vacation pix, that is for personal use, and no paperwork is required.

If you travel here to do a photo shoot, with the intention of selling the results, that is again for a commercial purpose, you would be working in Canada, and would get you into trouble, unless you get the right permits.

The problem for photographers is that, unlike plumbers and surgeons, we tend to take our tools of the trade with us even when we are on holiday. So we get questioned on our intentions.
    Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Fuji news, Feb. 2013

If you are heading to Canada to buy something or some service, no paperwork is required (as far as Canada is concerned).

In your earlier post, you indicated that you were heading to Canada to "make prints from negatives" (your words). If that is for a commercial purpose, that would be working in Canada, which would get you into trouble, unless you get the right permits.

If you travel here on holiday, and take vacation pix, that is for personal use, and no paperwork is required.

If you travel here to do a photo shoot, with the intention of selling the results, that is again for a commercial purpose, you would be working in Canada, and would get you into trouble, unless you get the right permits.

The problem for photographers is that, unlike plumbers and surgeons, we tend to take our tools of the trade with us even when we are on holiday. So we get questioned on our intentions.
    Well what if someone else is making the prints but also teaching me so I MAY make the prints, but might leave it to them, but I'm having them made potentially to sell. Really confusing. Either way at $100/ print JUST for the paper, ignore the chemistry, just paper is $100 per, I don't want to pay for permits.

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like a course or a workshop. Have him write it up for you that way (including the cost), and show the write-up if you are questioned.

It is a different situation if you need to stay long term - for that you need a student Visa.
    Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You're not 'working' in another country, unless you are being employed and paid from that country's economy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    You're not 'working' in another country, unless you are being employed and paid from that country's economy.
    And as a visitor, the onus is on you to prove that.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Nardi View Post
    Think positive, maybe they like the box design of Provia 400X and decided not to change it as it's already a departure from the current box designs. I use Provia 400X, 100F and Velvia 50 in all assorted sizes regularly.

I'm surprised to hear that Fuji Velvia 50 4x5 and 8x10 is still out there to be taken advantage of despite the discontinuation announcement last summer which had everyone freaked out. BTW, I just bought 3 boxes of Velvia 50 8x10 from Adorama Camera for $219.99 a box. Exp is April 2014. I know it's the old box design but looks like they still have more for anyone else interested.

I will continue to hunt down and use all these great films regardless of where they need to be purchased from. It may get pricier but at least my photography will improve by being more selective. It's just like when I shoot LF vs smaller formats. I walk away with more prized keepers at the end of the day with LF.

I can't see a world without film, can you? That's why I will bicker less about cost and just buy what I can, when I can, to keep Fuji and even Kodak (I use some colour neg) doing what they've done best all these years.
    Still available here it seems.
    http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/i...sort=2a&page=2

Bought super prodol from them, speedy delivery and no problems what so ever.

Did I have to pay local customs and VAT when it arrived? Indeed.
    Shipping charges? You bet.

But I got the goods, that's what counts for me.
    Welcome to the new world order(ing)
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin