Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,246   Online: 811

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes it's a feather in your cap. But art directors and art buyers also like portfolios and tear sheets. I have a BA in photography and when I was looking for work freelancing, no one asked to see my degree.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    But if they asked you if you could photograph in the style of Sudek for a particular project , the schooling would have helped.
    If you said who is Sudek I doubt you would get the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Yes it's a feather in your cap. But art directors and art buyers also like portfolios and tear sheets. I have a BA in photography and when I was looking for work freelancing, no one asked to see my degree.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    But if they asked you if you could photograph in the style of Sudek for a particular project , the schooling would have helped.
    If you said who is Sudek I doubt you would get the job.
    A knowledge of Josef Sudek's work is available through other means than a photography program. Furthermore, I wouldn't surprised if there are plenty of photo BA/BFA/MFA's floating around who have no idea who he is at all-- or perhaps know the name, but wouldn't have the first clue as to what his work is like (much less how to imitate it).

Knowledge and skill are things that, ultimately, one gives to oneself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably true. It's my hope that some will hire me for my style instead of a derivative style of another photographer.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    We are in the internet age, and even so I doubt I am smart enough to find Sudek on my own, guidance by wonderful teachers at a critical point in my life opened my eyes to a broader scope of current and past artists that I would never have found on my own.
    Even though my career has panned out pretty well, and yes a lot of self taught , school of hard knocks have gone on, the best info I get is by informed mentors who help guide me through the useless info on the net.
    I wish I could have just stayed on at a University after my three years of practical photo school and got as much background/guidance before I started my journey down the wormhole we call photography. I think I made every dam mistake possible. I would also include a heavy dose of business courses, and chemistry as well to help in future years , running a small business.
    I respect those here with their MFA, PHD's for their dedication to get the degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by jspillane View Post
    A knowledge of Josef Sudek's work is available through other means than a photography program. Furthermore, I wouldn't surprised if there are plenty of photo BA/BFA/MFA's floating around who have no idea who he is at all-- or perhaps know the name, but wouldn't have the first clue as to what his work is like (much less how to imitate it).

Knowledge and skill are things that, ultimately, one gives to oneself.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes I agree, but my point is if you are the photographer with less knowledge about photography styles than the art director you are at a severe disadvantage in your negotiations or even possibliity of landing the job.

Probably true. It's my hope that some will hire me for my style instead of a derivative style of another photographer.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

What about the customers interests in dealing with a commercial photographer?

Especially those of the private customer.

Those rules about restricting commercial photography (and other crafts) to officially trained photographers were sure in first instance installed to safeguard the intersts of those already in the businees (based on that guild idea).

And one could argue, that the customer could ask for proofs of work. But would that be enough?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    No, but if you want to be dedicated to your own style of aesthetics in photography regardless of monetary gain, then any experience is valid in pursuit of your goal.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Yes I agree, but my point is if you are the photographer with less knowledge about photography styles than the art director you are at a severe disadvantage in your negotiations or even possibliity of landing the job.
    This has in no way ever affected my ability to land a contract, assignment or sale, the number one reason in 100% of the cases of my ability to get work as a photographer has been the level of talent shown in my portfolio. In simple terms, show better work than your competition in a market that highly values that quality and you can set your terms, your price and people will talk. I am only now getting around to launching a new website after not having one for 7 years and I have been very busy over that time frame.

There is a very good reason that not everyone that has been an ace at marketing or went to Brooks is earning a living at photography and that reason is whether or not a high level of talent and vision is shown in the work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got a Job shooting for AF and I'm still here. I'm convinced, that if I didnt have my piece of paper, that I would of be just another Joe that likes to take picture. This was back in the early 2000's thow. Things have might of changed.

ToddB

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin