Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,555   Online: 1333

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    I wish this was possible.
    In Australia, it was very easy to be employed as an Assistant to an established professional 20 years ago (I was one in the country) when all one had then was an out-of-school education or mentorship. Today assistants commonly have their own degree/post-graduate degree, in either a like or allied area of the arts or something different e.g. somebody with post-graduate qualifications in market research and analysis could be potentially very useful to a long established professional in seeking out a "route of least resistance" against the competition, and there is heaps and heaps of competition! I am aware of only one wedding photographer in a pool of professionals who employs an assistant who has more qualifications than the boss! Masters graduates also fall into the Assistant foot-in-the-door area but generally only for the duration of their Masters (3-4 years).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    To twist a saying...

A self-taught person has an idiot for a teacher.

Fortunately we can sometimes over-come bad teaching...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    With photo school and art school being more and more expensive, does it make sense to get a photographic education while there are few jobs for photographers? Is it just better just to assist to learn the profession? Is a degree in photography the "ticket" for a career?
    in art school and photo school the student is surrounded 24/7 by art and photography.
    they are getting "direction" and learning how to overcome their weaknesses and magnify their strengths.
    no degree or assistantship is a ticket for a career, the person has to have motivation.
    without motivation a degree in anything, or an assistantship in anything is just that, a degree and assistantship.
    years ago there was a radio show i was listening to. it was a panel of deans of universities ... the show had to do with
    university / college education and what it was worth. there were countless people who called and said
    they went to a prestigious college and had a crap job, and it was the university's fault they had no career.
    the people took no responsibility at all for their choices and they failed to recognize that a university gives
    a student the opportunity to learn, to work with others with mutual interests &c, it was not necessarily
    the ticket to a $100,000 / year job.

art / photo school are the same thing. they give the opportunity to learn &c but they don't necessarily mean

right on vaughn !

a ticket to success.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you are a pro thevery moment when you decide to accept the risk and make photography part of your income;save some money for rainy daysand take the plunge;hope you never need to starve;many want-to-be-pros do for a while
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No you need business school.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While I'm not so sure about commercial photography, I'm sure it can't be any different than filmmaking. you need a portfolio. i went to film school precisely to build my portfolio; i had access to equipment otherwise not regularly available at the consumer level. I now work in my desired field because of a) the portfolio and b)the people (especially professors and peers) I met there. I'm sure the same applies for photography.
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    No you need business school.
    You learn about business, risk assessment, finance, budgeting and investment in uni (degree course with upward path to post-grad study). Attending business school only would be exclusive of learning anything about the art and application of your chosen creative stream e.g. art/photography/traditional arts.
    Learning art is so much more than finding your subject in photography. You are taught how to survive and even get ahead (but you won't always).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I am just curious, knowing the market is contracting with tons of very talented competition and filling up with amateurs who just want to pay for their hobby or have ego-centric bragging rights to a now near-worthless prize of a "Photo Credit", what is your motivation?
    It's really just a coming together of different things. Only one kid left in college, I'll not need as much money in two years' time; and a recent health scare which left me thinking that it's about time I lived up to what have have always told my kids: If you have a passion, go for it.

I live in Chattanooga, TN where surprisingly, there seems still to be a fairly healthy demand for photographic art/services, and a pretty vibrant art community with a healthy following. We shall see. Wish me luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I quit high school my jr. year, in the 70's, but shoot for a living.

Having said that, an education isn't bad to have. What can I say. It was the 70's.
    Go to the light......

www.keepsakephotography.us

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have a question for you .

In the large scheme of things, and lets take your own personal net worth aside. What do you think the average working salary per year of a professional photographer is.?

I believe the number is quite staggering low. This profession has way too many unqualified people calling themselves photographers and polluting the market place.
    I think the degrees in someway open other doors for those who may not have your talent.

I do get the idea that the cream rises to the top , and talent is what gets you there, but from my perspective of 35 years of dealing directly with thousands of photographers, a solid education helps some transition to other avenues of financial support to continue producing their personal work.

The photographers that seem to get to the top have schooling, just need to look at Bios and CV's to figure that out. Yes there are exceptions but in my home town this seems to be the rule and Toronto just became the fourth largest city in North America so the numbers are pretty strong to judge from.

Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I am just curious, knowing the market is contracting with tons of very talented competition and filling up with amateurs who just want to pay for their hobby or have ego-centric bragging rights to a now near-worthless prize of a "Photo Credit", what is your motivation?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin