Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,328   Online: 1052

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Do you really need photo school to be a pro?

"Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    Of course not, but if you are about to chose an education anyway and are already decided that your goal is to work with photography, it would be a bit stupid to take on an education to become a doctor...

http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Over here up to recently one was only allowed offering commercial photography after having gained a diploma in one of three formal trainings (vocational school, universities of applied sciences).

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I believe it helps, I have a three year degree form a community college program , I sure as hell wish I had continued and got my Masters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In US anyway, you can get into any occupation that does not involve professional licensing or certification with no formal education or training. However, getting such training may be the easiest way to get into one and convince potential clients you can do the job. (which is not always true...)
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, more than anything you need the talent and drive to rise above your competition...

In the late 80's, I was working with a rather well known figure in aviation photography on a book. At first, I just wanted to assist him but he asked to see my work and upon reviewing some Kodachromes in a sheet of 20, he asked me if I wanted to co-illustrate the book. As we worked together, I told him I wanted to go to Brooks Institute in Santa Barbra, CA.

He said he did not think it would give me much since I already had what a lot of the students did not, a good eye and to instead just get busy getting to work.

He was right and here I am 22 years later still going strong.

RIP my mentor and good friend George Hall....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you don't have any people skills, yes. The drinking and sleeping around will help a great deal. I'm guessing everything else you can do on your own with a bit of networking, common sense and hard work. That's what I'm working on.
    Last edited by batwister; 03-20-2013 at 02:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

It think it's great remembering your mentors

Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post

I still remember all my mentors. So far, none has passed on yet. I'm still grateful for their advice that school doesn't teach us. Most of them went to Art Center in Pasadena.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    No, more than anything you need the talent and drive to rise above your competition...

In the late 80's, I was working with a rather well known figure in aviation photography on a book. At first, I just wanted to assist him but he asked to see my work and upon reviewing some Kodachromes in a sheet of 20, he asked me if I wanted to co-illustrate the book. As we worked together, I told him I wanted to go to Brooks Institute in Santa Barbra, CA.

He said he did not think it would give me much since I already had what a lot of the students did not, a good eye and to instead just get busy getting to work.

Only if you have the business sense, which is exactly what I lack and I think what I need from school, and that's my main fault, I can take a picture, but I can't sell it... haha, so sometimes you DO need school, if nothing else for contacts...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did.. I recieved a BFA in photo in 98. I figured it's another feather in cap.

ToddB

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin