Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,014   Online: 1052

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    127 Format
    So if the demand is high the price goes up

But if the demand is low the price goes up
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    So if the demand is high the price goes up

But if the demand is low the price goes up
    APUG needs to have a like post option Bill. This has been my feeling related to analog film prices of late. They are not following the law of economics at all. Or at least what my freshman hung over 30 year over recollection remembers of it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Nonsense. They are simply doing what they have to do it they intend to keep making film and still stay
    in business. These aren't charities. In the past film wars combined with high volume factored into the
    equation, but now its a more limited selection and less redundancy or direct competition between the
    manufacturers. The price wars are going on elsewhere (like consumer electronics), so something has to turn a profit. And if you do factor for typical inflation over several decades, relative to the cost of other
    things, film really hasn't gone up that much. It just seems like it because of its sudden spike in the last
    couple of years. But I suspect that kind of adjustment was long overdue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...that film demand is still decreasing.
    While this may be true in countries like Japan and the US where the love of gadgetry is overwhelming. This does not seems to be true in other regions of the world where film is still popular.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The thing to realize is all sellers always charge the most they can for an item. If you need batteries for your flashlight you can get them at the corner store for $2 or drive across town to the Big Box Store and get them for $1.50. The Big Store charges less because they have to. Nobody would drive across town to pay the same money as price as they can get at the corner store.

Film sellers TOTAL profit is the profit per unit sold times the numbers of units sold. If the price per unit gets too high than sales will drop too much and TOTAL profit declines.

One way to get around this problem for sellers is to up the price but also run sales. If you can afford to buy for a high price you will and they will earn a high unit profit. During the sales they will pick up buyers who will not pay the high price (more sales at a lower price).

Rather than complain about the high price perhaps you should lobby for film promotions and sales. This may also get more people shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Surely the "big box store" charges lower prices is because they can (due to economy of scale & volume purchase), not because they somehow have to.
    It's hard to see the analogy with the current film market

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The big box store might or might not be cheaper. Depends what you are actually getting for your money. Chances are, things are cheaper because the quality sucks. And the odds are pretty high that
    their cumulative business model is geared to stock market pranks rather than sustainable profit, that
    they are twisting just about every labor law imaginable into contortions that would put any small businessman in court, that they are getting huge land or local tax exemptions because they have the money to corrupt local oversight ... and they MANDATE the mfg of trashy outsourced bait-and-switch merchandise to create distribution monopolies, etc etc etc. No, it's not a level playing field by any means. And people like me are going downright nuts because I've got more business than I can handle, and have trouble even getting goods shipped fast enough, specifically because I sell high-end product, and pros have trouble finding that kind of thing elsewhere ... hence, to keep marginally sane, I need these periodic posting breaks...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noacronym View Post
    I still think if there was some advertising, film would sell. Think about it--people can be advertised into buying ANYTHING. Look at some of the pure-T crap that is sold in the TV commercials. "Just pay separate processing"--how many times have you heard that? And they eat it up like candy. Look at Washington DC. If THAT doesn't prove people can be suckered into buying a load of goods, I don't know what does.
    The base problem with using film these days is that people have to be creative to use it. The average person is not creative or even inquisitive. Thus, it's a bit of an uphill battle just to get them off the couch. There is no Twitter or whatever for film cameras. The only time I've seen an advertisement was for some old stock of point & shoots with prepaid mailers, and the advertisement was aimed at retirees, not cool hipsters.

The best advertising for film is what I did yesterday when I showed a 4x5 slide to some coworkers. Bug eyes and dropped jaws all around.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Surely the "big box store" charges lower prices is because they can (due to economy of scale & volume purchase), not because they somehow have to.
    It's hard to see the analogy with the current film market
    Yes they can charge lower prices (due to economy of scale & volume purchase). But they do not charge lower prices to be nice to us. They charge lower prices because if they did not charge lower prices we would never suffer a trip to their crappy stores that are staffed by underpaid know-nothing people. I do not want to say anything bad about the staff that works at the store but they are hired because they will work for low wages. Not because they are skilled. I worked retail for years when I was young and stupid. I worked hard but I was not able to be useful often as I did not know much at the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    People have a really hard time believing that all you need to process E6 is a dishtub with holes in the sides, running sink water, a good thermometer, and E6 chems.

Try it. It's not hard, and you will have better-than-lab results.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin