Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,169   Online: 887

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    It was not just beneficial to Kodak. The whole industry was cranked up by the introduction of type 126, including those who did not jump onto the Instamatic wagon.

Type 110 was very effective too.
    Definitely 126 did much good for snapshot photography....I remember many friends in my student days, who wouldn't have otherwise taken photos, using 126 cameras (and flashcubes) regularly. IIRC, 110 wasn't quite as popular....the quality of processing could be variable, and most casual users kept with their 126 cameras. or graduated to the easier-loading 35mm which became available. There was also the Agfa Rapid easy-loading system, which never really took off, at least in the UK. (Agfa also produced 126 cameras and film).

Disc film seemed to fail through quality of the film and printing, plus the size of the cameras. APS was certainly ingenious, but expensive to use and superceded by digital very quickly.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Very few people used 35mm film cameras before the Instamatic came out. They all used roll film, either 120/620, 127 or 828. Loading the brownie cameras of the day was troublesome because the paper rolls could easily unravel and ruin the whole roll.

As a kid, it was my job to reload the family camera which I would take to the darkest closet and remove the old film and install the new. I loved licking the paper tape and sealing the exposed film nice and tight.

I have an Instamatic 104 that is loaded now with unperforated Kodak Portra 160NC film. For some reason it won't fire the flash cubes, even with new batteries.

I get a lot of great reaction from people when I take the Instamatic out for a day of shooting.
    - Bill Lynch

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    There was also the Agfa Rapid easy-loading system, which never really took off, at least in the UK.
    In the first, crucial, 2 years the production rate between Kodak-Instamatic and Agfa-Rapid cameras was about 7/1.

Which is not bad seen the averall 8/1 revenue relation between Kodak and Agfa Leverkusen at that moment and the fact that Agfa was surprised by the Instamatic system. Thus having te re-establish their pre-war Karat system and design and manufacture cameras literally over night to face the Instamatics.

Agfa manufactured Rapid-cassettes up to the mid-90's!

The Karat system is, concerning handling, inferior to the Instamatic system, but technically more sound as it strongly resembles type 135, except for rewinding.
    Last edited by AgX; 04-01-2013 at 11:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first camera was my mothers Brownie (Holiday?). I was probably 5 or 6, and didn't have a problem loading 127 film.

However, there were probably a lot of people that did have problems (or never tried because of perceived difficulty, impatience, etc.) that were suddenly taking pictures when the Instamatic came out.

Think of it this way, how many of us would be on APUG if it were back in the days of text-only computer interfaces. No mouse, no clicking, no graphcs - just text and commands for everything.
    Personally, I'd not find it difficult, but I work in IT and deal regularly with people who can barely figure out email.
    I still can't get my mother to understand that Google is a web site, and Firefox is a "browser" that lets her go to websites. She thinks they are one in the same, which makes trouble-shooting difficult when she tells me Google won't open. (Because of this, I made about:blank her home page.) Oddly, she knows the difference between the TV and a TV channel.

The Instamatic brought photography to many people who probably would not have even tried.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had one back in 1970 or so. It was fun to use.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    126 easy loading.
    I remember a TV commercial where they showed a Chimpanzee how to open the camera. A person then handed the Chimp a film which the Chimp put in the camera and proceeded to take pictures.
    Re: film flatness I think it's hogwash. The problem was with the shutter release being so stiff which
    jiggled the camera unless extra care was taken to hold it tight. Other manufacturers recognized this problem and made their release buttons softer.
    I have taken photos with a Kodak 500 and with their Instamatic reflex which are as sharp as a regular 35 mm.

To WBLYNCH. Take a 'Q' tip and bend the end . Wet it with ammonia and clean the contacts on the sliding cover with the bent end of the battery compartment also the ones in the top . Install fresh batteries and slide the cover back and forth a few times. The cube should fire

Shooter
    127 Format
    Thanks Francis, I will give it a go.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Instamatic might have turned 50 but the roll film format inside is much older. 828 dates back to 1935. Kodak later repackaged it in a 126 cassette as a square format.

Ian

foc

Shooter
    35mm
    I think that the Kodak 126 camera and film format did more to popularise amateur photography/ snapshot photography than anything else at the time.

I think it also make Kodak the dominant player worldwide. It was a case of Kodak leading the way and others followed.(remember Agfa tried their rapid system to counteract Kodak 126 but the Agfa Rapid failed to take off even though it remained in production for many a year)

Kodak C22 and later C41 would dominate the processing world while Agfa and others would have to change from their CNS (CN17) process to C41 in the late 1970's.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak was already the dominant player worldwide productionwise, but by means of type 126 they got more hold in the consumer range in foreign countries.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin