Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,552   Online: 773

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Instamatic turns 50

Anything film related in the news has to help a little bit......

http://www.guampdn.com/usatoday/article/2034585

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Boy, that makes me feel old! I was doing camera repair when the Instamatic came out. I figured that nobody was going to repair these things. They were so rugged that very little ever went wrong, and when it did, it was cheaper to buy a new one than get the old one fixed. Time changes everythingl
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently brought an old family Instamatic back to life. It is a fun camera.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Instamatic 104 was my 1st camera in 1965. I was 12 and used slide film at 1st then Verichrome Pan when I started developing my own film a few years later. I still have it in the original box with an unused flashcube.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found the last line most interesting:

"This year is the 50th anniversary of the Instamatic," he said. "But it's also the 100th anniversary of the Kodak lab."
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I read that story I was stunned that so many people had difficulty loading film into a camera without a cartridge format. One person quoted in the story marveled that it could be "loaded in daylight." 120 film had been loaded in daylight for 50 years before instamatic came out! I think pretty much every roll film format can be loaded in daylight. It's not like ordinary people were still fumbling with loading LF sheet film into holders. My very first camera took a 110 cartridge, but manually loading an all manual 35mm camera was not in the least bit difficult to me as a pre-teen.

Sorry if it comes off as too ranty, I just think Kodak really outfoxed itself by trying to reinvent the wheel with these cartridge formats every decade. Sure, the original 126 was hip, but maybe if it wasn't a hit we would have been spared Disc, 110, & APS.

I dunno, I was born in 1980 and I cannot recall ever seeing 126 for sale in stores in the late 80s when I started buying film. In drug stores it was 110 and 35mm, in camera stores they also had 120 and sheet sizes. If 126 was such a hit, why stop pushing it in favor of successor cartridges?

If it was your first camera, then I respect there's room for serious nostalgia, but on the technical merits I don't see serious improvement in the pictures.

I guess my gut reason for not celebrating 126 is that I don't like waste. I feel like I want my camera to retain its utility as long as possible, and it was effectively abandoned by its creator before its time, maybe. I don't care for change for the sake of change, and Kodak seemed to do that a fair bit over the years. All the 126 people have my blessing. I guess you had to be there.
    Last edited by Aristotle80; 04-01-2013 at 12:12 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: rationale
    I confess I'm a gear nut within my price range. ;)
    Nikon FM2n, FG, FG20, N2000, Nikkormat, Olympus Stylus Epic
    Minox 35EL, Voigtlander Bessa-L
    Yashica-D TLR 6x6, Seagull TLR 6x6
    Agfa Isolette 6x6, Welmy 6x6
    Kodak Tourist 6x9 Anaston lens
    http://www.wendelstout.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you had ever worked in a retail camera store, you would know that the problems people experienced with loading and unloading 35mm film were very common.

The 126 format cameras were super-ceded because:

1) there were problems inherent in the design with film flatness; and
    2) the market wanted something smaller.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a feeling that 126 film is no longer available in UK. Go on someone tell me different. Apart from the simple point and shoot models I remember a neat Kodak reflex that took 126 film back in 1964, but have not seen one since.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    I have a feeling that 126 film is no longer available in UK. Go on someone tell me different. Apart from the simple point and shoot models I remember a neat Kodak reflex that took 126 film back in 1964, but have not seen one since.
    The last time I saw 126 film for sale in a mainstream shop in the UK was in a branch of Boots in 2003. (I can rememember the date as we were on holiday at the time, and I hadn't seen 126 in any local shops for quite a while).

IIRC, Kodak last made it around 2005, with Ferrania ceasing production a few years later?
    Last edited by railwayman3; 04-01-2013 at 04:43 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle80 View Post
    Sorry if it comes off as too ranty, I just think Kodak really outfoxed itself by trying to reinvent the wheel with these cartridge formats every decade.Sure, the original 126 was hip, but maybe if it wasn't a hit we would have been spared Disc, 110, & APS.
    It was not just beneficial to Kodak. The whole industry was cranked up by the introduction of type 126, including those who did not jump onto the Instamatic wagon.

Type 110 was very effective too.
    You are too young to have experienced all this. But have a look at old catalogs and price lists. They will tell you that cameras of this type were able to serve a broad market, though still being expensive compared to standards of today.
    Last edited by AgX; 04-01-2013 at 03:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin