Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,794   Online: 685

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Judging by what some people are prepared to pay for a quite pedestrian and very common post WWII Zeiss Nettar - $80 there must be an up turn in the market

Ian
    I sold mine for 10 bucks with some 6.3 lens. Anastigmat?

I feel like I've missed out.
    Last edited by Andrey; 04-09-2013 at 05:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is it me, or film equipment prices have gone up?

Have you seen the prices of Polaroid SX70's lately? Or HOLGAS?? Or even original Diana's??

Impossible and Lomography are carried in places like Urban Outfitters. They introduce "young" artists to film and from there the "young" artists start to explore.

"You're shooting film?" their friends ask? And all of that attention makes them crave more. So they start looking at SLR's, instant cameras, and the almighty Hasselblad.

Before you know it, you're in a bidding war with a 12 yr old who wears skinny jeans and can spend his entire paycheck on that Hasselblad because he doesn't have grown up bills yet.

Prices have dramatically increased just in the short two years that I've been shooting film again - that's undeniable. But what I find interesting is how fast the younger photographers are catching on.

I sold four or five film cameras to an 18yr old in TN when I de-gassed my collection this last go round. And he regularly PM's me to see if I'm ready to sell more!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    My RB67 equipment is so cheap I don't even worry about leaving it in the trunk of the car when I park anywhere. I use to insure the equipment. It will never come back to the prices I paid years ago. That breaks my heart.
    Cheer up Alan, it's only money
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did prices go up or the value of the dollar go down?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We can console ourselves about film and film gear going up by thinking that there are more analog photographers competing for film and gear.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    It seems to me that certain cameras have been dubbed "legendary" (whether they deserve that or not) and the repeated praise by people (some of whom seem to just be repeating what they have heard rather than speaking form experience) has cause the prices to climb. Whether they will ever go back down or not, IDK.

Interestingly, for one of the cameras mentioned in the OP I think I keep seeing the same carea(s) being bought, used, and re-sold at higher prices over-and-over again. No matter how much they seller says they liked it but need the money to (insert whatever situation sounds imminent/pathetic) I read that more as sales hype than honest rationale... based on my less-than-satisfactory experience with similar/same cameras.
    Which one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hasselblad prices have barely changed and if anything have gone down a smidge from what I'm observing. On eBay, Marc Miller's prices have pretty much been consistent for at least 4 years.
    Maybe the influx of teenagers buying cameras means once they get bored, they're selling them on again for extortionate amounts for their remorse. I think mostly people just take liberties when selling classic cameras.

I'm really not sure what people are talking about in regard to increased prices in general.
    Last edited by batwister; 04-09-2013 at 02:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    I haven't shopped actively for film cameras, cause I've mostly been shooting for the last 2-3 years or so.
    Yes, both
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    I'm really not sure what people are talking about in regard to increased prices in general.
    Food and fuel prices have gone up in the last couple of years in the US, but for reasons having to do with food and fuel themselves (like the increased demand for corn related to biofuel production) rather than because of the "value of the dollar" as such. Cameras have, um, a pretty limited amount of corn in them, so I'd expect their prices to be little affected by the volatility of specific commodities...

Hey, it turns out that the Wayback Machine has KEH's catalog from January 1997!
    http://web.archive.org/web/199701212...g/catalog.html
    The pages are PDFs; not all of them are there, but some are. Here are a few representative prices from sixteen years ago. Remember, these are 1997 dollars---multiply by about 1.4 to get current equivalent values.

Canon III rangefinder body $205, 50/1.9 Serenar $89
    RB67 body with WLF $265 EX, $179 BGN
    4x5 Crown Graphic, Graflok with RF, $235
    210/5.6 Symmar-S in Copal 1, $429
    M3 bodies, $919-1219 (I don't know what all the variations mean)
    50/1 Noctilux $2370
    50/2 Summicron collapsible $449 EX, $310 BGN
    Nikon F3 body $546 EX, $379 BGN

I can't match all of these from their catalog today, but the Symmar, for instance, would run you $179 in EX condition (and that's for the -SMC version, which I think the one in the old catalog isn't).

Of course, 1997 was before d*g*t*l really took off, and it might be more illuminating to look at prices from 5-10 years ago. (Those should be in the Machine too, but I have to get the dishwasher loaded and get to bed.) Still and all, if you tried to fund your retirement by investing in vintage Leica bodies, you might have lost some ground.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Still and all, if you tried to fund your retirement by investing in vintage Leica bodies, you might have lost some ground.
    Nah. At max it would be a new car for the zeiss lenses I've offloaded a few years ago.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin