Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,974   Online: 1085

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Judging by what some people are prepared to pay for a quite pedestrian and very common post WWII Zeiss Nettar - $80 there must be an up turn in the market

Ian
    HaHa..They don't make them anymore!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A couple of items that seem to be going up these days:

1) Rollei 35 cameras of various versions, especially the ones with the Sonnar lenses (35S and 35SE).
    2) Lenses for Kiev 60 cameras. The cameras themselves seem to be up in price a little, but the lenses seem to be up more, especially the ones that are non-normal in focal length. Also, I have noticed that a lot of the systems are now broken into components rather than complete (body, lens, prism...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here in the UK the price rises for film cameras tends to be patchy, depending on the make and perceived "status" of a particular camera. There are a few dealers, particularly in London, who appear to be to hiking up prices of some models (e.g. Rolleiflex, Olympus OM4Ti etc.) in order to create a "collectors market". These dealers will probably be avoided by most genuine photographers, who find that the price for the same items in a store miles away from London, could be as much as 30% cheaper.

The exception here is Leica M series, where the price hike is universal, making the purchase of an M series camera and lenses, increasingly unaffordable for the average enthusiast.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    With respect to pretty much most brands of 35mm SLR lenses, we have the Micro-4/3rd's revolution to blame for prices going up. Even pre-AI Nikkors that used to go for $25-$50 are now going for $75-$100, sometimes more. With respect to the Nikon F3 bodies, I've seen the opposite happen. At least, at brick & mortar stores (and KEH). Prices are going down. Back when the dump all film cameras craze started, the cheapest I could find an F3 was about $200. Well-used F3 eyelevel with lots of brassing, a cracked frame counter window, and light leak into the prism from a damaged shell. Today, I can get the same camera, with less cosmetic damage, but a missing AE-L button for $95. KEH still has BGN grade F3's and F3HP's in the $80-$100 range.

eBay tends to be all over the place. Most of the higher priced items, if you look at completed auctions, you'll see them relisted multiple times with the same price. It's as if the sellers don't really want to sell their gear, so they put up an inflated "feeler" price to deter someone from buying it. Case in point, there's one eBay seller in California who keeps selling a couple Nikomat FTn bodies for $300-$400. Ones that aren't in the greatest shape. I can get similar condition bodies from KEH in a lot of 5-7 bodies for $50...

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 50/1.4 AI, 80-200/4.5 AI, 85/1.8 K, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I get the sense that you can pick up a Nikon F100 now a little cheaper than say six months or so ago. I've seen several for well under $200.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yup. As long as you're not looking for something that looks as if it were new, prices are cheaper than ever on bodies.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 50/1.4 AI, 80-200/4.5 AI, 85/1.8 K, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There seems to be a general upwards drift on eBay on lenses and bodies to a lesser extent. An ordinary ME Super body that went for $20-$25 a year ago might go for $30-$40 today. OTOH, I picked up an SRT-101 w/ 50mm for $13 plus shipping on Sunday. If it's as the seller described it was quite a steal. Even if it wasn't, it's still looks like it should be a good carry-around kit. Lenses seem to have about gone 1.5-2x in price, although there are still many bargains.

I have never figured out why people keep listing things at the same price forever. I watched a copy of "Modern Photographic Processing V1" hang out for over a year at some crazy price like $142.00. Seems to me if it didn't sell in a month at that price they should have caught on - especially when you can purchase both volumes new for not much more money.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Man, remember when K1000s were selling for upwards of a hundred bucks a few years ago? That was the hipsters. We all bought the 'World's Most Essential and Basic 35mm SLR' hype pretty hard. I thought I was doing amazingly to find one at a pawn shop with a broken framecounter for $40.
    And now they're back to under $50. It's a cycle.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin