Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,550   Online: 1051

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Is it me, or film equipment prices have gone up?

I haven't shopped actively for film cameras, cause I've mostly been shooting for the last 2-3 years or so.

But it seems like the good film cameras have increased in price a LOT.

I was looking for 35 rc, olympus mju, XA or a canonet. Everything hovers around 80 bucks. A few years ago it was no problem to get it under 30.

Are more people shooting film? What's the deal?

Fortunately the pentax K1000 is still around 40 bucks with lens and the FEDs and KIEVs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Indeed, I went into this race only about one year ago, and since then even I experience a HUGE increase in the film gear market... It's crazy, hopefully it dramatically increases the sales of film too, but it's indeed odd!
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, the cheap but well considered P&S machines are increasing, slowly buy constantly, their prices.
    I supose the back to film cameras started with the high range and now people is looking for some "compacts" with film.

Shooter
    35mm
    And to think I've gotten rid of 20+ different contax and zeiss jena lenses at some point.

I got them around 2004-2007 at 20-30 bucks a piece. Now even the 50/1.7 is fetching 200 dollars plus.

Shooter
    35mm
    Now everything is RETRO!

Oh how I regret (not really) not saving all my old smurfs, big jims and all other toys from the 80's, I bet it's worth loads today as people seem to have fallen into a trance of retro-hype!!
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yeah, I'm at my "want to keep" set now. Which isn't all ideal, because I do need some of the funds that are tied up in my film gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    And to think I've gotten rid of 20+ different contax and zeiss jena lenses at some point.

I got them around 2004-2007 at 20-30 bucks a piece. Now even the 50/1.7 is fetching 200 dollars plus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been accumulating equipment for about 4 years, and yes, prices have gone up. I think the ridiculously low prices of a few years ago were the result of the recession combining with the rush to digital to force more equipment on the market and suppressed buying. The recession is over and it appears that those who need and/or want to dump film equipment have already done so.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    35mm
    I do think fixed lens rangefinders must be near the top of the market now. I remember bidding on a working but cosmetically average Olympus 35SP needing light seals a few years ago on an auction site and stopping when it hit GBP 70.00 thinking it was rather dear. I wish I had carried on. They now regularly sell in that condition for GBP 150.00 and minters can fetch over GBP 300.00. In contrast, SLRs seem to have stalled and can be good value. It's like everything else in the retro / collectables market. There are fads which come and go. The trick is to wait until they are a bit cheaper again, probably in a few years time. In the meantime, buy an under-appreciated camera to amuse yourself then sell when it becomes the in-thing and goes up in value.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Judging by what some people are prepared to pay for a quite pedestrian and very common post WWII Zeiss Nettar - $80 there must be an up turn in the market

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have definitely noticed an increase in prices lately for film equipment. I personally think several things are happening:

1) Working with film has gotten incredibly trendy, which is not a bad thing at all, especially for us folks who don't want to see our favorite films disappear or become even more expensive than it already is.

2) There are a few cameras that have received such a "cult" status which of course inflates their price. Leica folks know this phenomenon all too well.

3) As film cameras get older and older it is becoming harder and harder to find examples that have not been beat to hell and are in good working order.

I find myself very fortunate that I got into film photography right around the time serious digital cameras were brand new (think the first digital Rebel and the Canon 10D). A lot of professionals and hard core hobbyists were dumping their film stuff for rock bottom prices. In many cases the cameras were barely used as they had been purchased by people who just want the latest and greatest trendy items, not necessarily people who photographed frequently. I think that time has passed and prices are heading back up because the folks selling cameras aren't doing so out of desperation to raise the funds for a new toy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin