Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,373   Online: 1071

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last few years suggest Sears has problems with way more than their photo studios. But yes, I suspect studios are a victim of everybody's a photographer syndrome.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    It is a shame in one way. The "portrait mills" were a reasonably good place to develop a photographer's ability to work with people, and they did help reinforce the idea that paying for a photograph was a good thing.
    Yes they are/were of definite value on several levels. As a photographer with a shopfront studio I have always viewed all types of shopping mall studios, whether permanent or pop-up as being useful in terms of getting people to think about family photography. Most of these operators overcharge for what is often a very ordinary product and many also employ dubious sales tactics but a significant number of their customers, having been educated to get family photos regularly, graduate to "real studios" seeking a better product. I also have a custom framing business and have generated a lot of revenue over the years framing the output of mall photographers. OzJohn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sears has been having difficulty in general lately. However, I think the posts about the mediocre quality hit it on the mark.

I had a coworker that went with his family to a Sears studio a few years ago. He was quite annoyed that they used a "typical" (consumer grade) digital camera and Photoshop. I believe his comment was something along the lines of "I could do this myself."
    He wasn't against digital, but had expected something a bit more professional for the money he was paying.

As a kid we had gone to Kmart a few times for family photographs, but these were special events - not permanent fixtures. Other than that, our church seemed to bring in a photographer yearly. Those pictures we always good.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Lots of people re content to snap pics with their phones. They then print on an office color laser printer and pin up their creations on their cubicle walls.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When we went to Sears with my second child,it was pretty much an assembly line operation. Plop the child down,try and get him/her to smile take maybe 5 shots and done. Waiting a couple hours with a hundred other kids(and parents) in their Sunday best running around with candy and open containers was nerve racking ( I knew it would be my kid catching it on the dress) I can't recall why we started going to Sears, probably because of the ads for "picture day" they sent out, and the "cheaper" prices . After the second time we gave that up ,too much stress . Went to a studio afterwards
    rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin