Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,485   Online: 1080

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Sears and other consumer studios done.

Hey guys,

Heard on the news the other day in regard of Sears and other consumer studios calling it quits. What a shame. I wonder why?

ToddB

Shooter
    Large Format
    Here is a related article with comments about the reasons.

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?p...e-fd8e0f84ff0a

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My guess is that the digital age has turned everyone into "photographers" and the little studios could not make enough sales to stay in business. Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    30-40 years (and more) ago, the only qualification to be a pro photographer was to be able to afford the gear. At least now it can be in the hands of the truly talented. Unfortunately it can also in the hands of the far less than talented.

There is a lot of junk out there but I am liking some of the 'photo real' that emerges. It's nice to see some of those stars shine. Now if we can only get rid of the over use of photoshop. My incentive to shoot better was I was (am) a dufus for print.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My guess is that the digital age has turned everyone into "photographers"

So true.. A bunch of wanna be's.

ToddB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In the UK, in my experience working in rental and equipment repairs to these type of studios, the owners started employing people who couldn't operate lights, meters or even cameras outside of 'auto' - consequently the quality of the portraits went downhill. Often the camera and lights were pre-setup and the operator only had to press the shutter. As one of the comments on the above article says - one day we may want better photographs rather than more.
    regards,

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a shame in one way. The "portrait mills" were a reasonably good place to develop a photographer's ability to work with people, and they did help reinforce the idea that paying for a photograph was a good thing.

By the way, this thread is in the wrong sub-forum. Feedback and Discussion is intended to refer to "Site Feedback and Discussion about APUG"

Maybe the name of the sub-forum should be changed to help those who are new here?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry Matt.. Maybe Admin can put it where it blongs. My Bad.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's as much about how people share photos as it is about how they take them. So much is now shared online.

To be honest, I don't think the loss of the formulaic, mass market "studio" photos is all that great. In fact, I think the spontaneous cell phone photo beats their posed photos 99% of the time. But the loss of an actual print (vs. screen display) is a shame.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thread moved to "Industry News".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin