Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,650   Posts: 1,481,298   Online: 850

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    There is that, granted. TMX and TMY are pretty good WRT reciprocity failure too but they're not Acros. I think the suggestion that TMY is slower than TMX in long exposures has been refuted, at least until they get VERY long. TMY-2 might actually lead to shorter exposures than Acros though I'm far from sure of that, and that doesn't address the need to figure the compensation nor the impact on contrast.
    While Acros holds up better than TMY2, the exposure duration for TMY2 at EI400 will always (for exposures shorter than one night) be shorter than for Acros. But you'll get less contrast-increase from the Acros.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When it comes to monochrome, I have probably shot more Tri-X than anything else but have also had great results with HP5+, Fomapan and most recently Arista. But I have to be honest with you, when developed in Fuji Super Prodol all of these films look better, and Fuji Acros and Presto are absolutely brilliant! I spent the last 6 months in the U.S. struggling with developers since I couldn't get my hands on Super Prodol. I tried D-76, Ilfosol 3 and HC-110. After lots of experimentation with agitation methods the results started getting better, but with Super Prodol I have never had to struggle like that. Now I'm back in Tokyo and ran my first roll thru Super Prodol the other night and remembered why I love it so much! And the amazing thing is that with Acros and Presto it only requires 4.25 minutes!
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To put it in perspective I went to B&H's web site and sorted film listings to 120 film, black and white negative, speeds 100 and 125, then sorted to display least expensive to most expensive. Acros is still the least expensive at $3.89. Next is Delta 100 at $4.19, FP4+ at $4.25, Fomapan 100 (!) at $4.29, and most expensive is TMX at $4.50. Considering what a good film Acros is and the unique reciprocity failure characteristics, it's still a small bargain, but "small" in the sense that all these films are close enough in price, for most of us anyway, for price not to be much of a deciding factor. Use the one that you prefer.

I put the exclamation mark by the Foma because I'm surprised to see it more expensive than every other film except TMX. Of course it's available in the US from Freestyle in their house brand Arista EDU Ultra for $3.09, so I at least would never pay $4.29 for it just because the box said Foma.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    While Acros holds up better than TMY2, the exposure duration for TMY2 at EI400 will always (for exposures shorter than one night) be shorter than for Acros. But you'll get less contrast-increase from the Acros.
    I suspected as much. Thanks for the confirmation. But Acros does provide not only the lack of contrast increase but simplicity - just meter and shoot out to two minutes, and add 1/2 stop for 2 minutes up to 1000 seconds (16 2/3 minutes.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I too have been surprised at the hike in Fuji prices. I've bought some Agfa Precisa 100asa tranny to try out, which is more reasonably priced, not completed a roll yet so can't comment on it. It seems that smaller "niche" companies are re-launching films from Rollei, Agfa etc. Interesting trend, could it be a "life-saver" for film enthusiasts?......Good to know at least some companies appreciate there are plenty of film users still around.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fuji Film Price Hike

Precisa is made by Fuji, unless there is soneone else in Japan making slide film. I have some in my fridge and it's marked "made in Japan." I bought it based on a rumor it was Astia but now word is its more like an amateur version of Provia. I haven't shot any of mine yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji just about have the monoply on film especially for reversal films, they are just pressing their advantage, because their first duty is to make the maximum profit their shareholders not to make their products cheap their customers.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fuji Film Price Hike

The only monopolies they have are reversal film and instant, which are a pretty small part of total film sales but if you want those and you want new and fresh, it'll be Fuji. I just bought another ten rolls of in date E100G for the freezer but of course when it's gone it's gone.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Precisa is made by Fuji, unless there is soneone else in Japan making slide film. I have some in my fridge and it's marked "made in Japan." I bought it based on a rumor it was Astia but now word is its more like an amateur version of Provia. I haven't shot any of mine yet.
    I've read it is Sensia, which I always thought was closer to Astia than Provia.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never shot any Sensia so I don't have experience with it, but if it's closer to Astia than Provia I'll be happy with it. It might be similar to my dwindling supplies of frozen E100G then, except with the Fuji palette.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin