Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,145   Online: 1048

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Precisa is made by Fuji, unless there is soneone else in Japan making slide film. I have some in my fridge and it's marked "made in Japan." I bought it based on a rumor it was Astia but now word is its more like an amateur version of Provia. I haven't shot any of mine yet.
    Are you certain it's made by Fuji?...on my packet it states the origin as being "AgfaPhoto Holding GmbH" produced under license from Agfa-Gavaert, which, I believe was the original Agfa film manufacturing company. It also states "produced for and distributed by Lupus Imaging & Media", another German company. The rest of the info on the film packet is all in German, giving the impression Germany is the source.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AgfaPhoto is a designation used sparcely by Agfa since the late 90's or so to indicate their Consumer Branch.
    However it was not used as brand.

When Agfa sold off that department in 2004 the new entity and its holding company got the name AgfaPhoto.

The life of that production company was only for some months, then it went mysteriously bancrupt. The holding company still exists.
    They (or Lupus) sold off remnants out of the film stock (either manufactured by Agfa or Agfaphoto). The AgfaPhoto APX is out of that stock. When their colour film stock ended they rebranded films from other manufacturers.

AgfaPhoto of today is not a manufacturer. Furthermore they license the name AgfaPhoto for different kind of photo-related products.

Agfa (Agfa-Gevaert N.V.) which is still alive and huge and still owner of the brandname AgfaPhoto started a legal case against that rebranding with their name but lost the case.
    (This is what "produced under license from Agfa-Gevaert" hints at.)

AgfaPhoto Holding and Lupus Imaging are branding resp. distributing companies, not manufacturers in the proper sense.
    Those films may have been converted and packed in Germany, by other companies.
    Last edited by AgX; 04-14-2013 at 08:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    Are you certain it's made by Fuji?...on my packet it states the origin as being "AgfaPhoto Holding GmbH" produced under license from Agfa-Gavaert, which, I believe was the original Agfa film manufacturing company. It also states "produced for and distributed by Lupus Imaging & Media", another German company. The rest of the info on the film packet is all in German, giving the impression Germany is the source.
    If it is fresh film, there should be on the outside of the box "Made in Japan".

Roger
    AgfaPhoto CT Precisa 100 has been reported to be an older version of Provia, probably the first version.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At least in Europe there is no legislation urging an importer to state the land of origin. (There is one in the making for some products, but I don't think any burocrate will think of film...)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    If it is fresh film, there should be on the outside of the box "Made in Japan".

Roger
    AgfaPhoto CT Precisa 100 has been reported to be an older version of Provia, probably the first version.
    The current Precisa which I have says "Made in Japan" on the box. An older empty box (expiry Sept 2009) which I've just found in my desk drawer says "Made in EU" (in very small letters)....this could be Germany or Belgium presumably?)

A couple of years ago I picked up, in Austria, a roll of Agfa Vista color neg, the Lupus Imaging version, which stated "Made in China".

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    At least in Europe there is no legislation urging an importer to state the land of origin. (There is one in the making for some products, but I don't think any burocrate will think of film...)
    Why at least? You sound as if you're in favor of covering up or not disclosing the country of origin... am I correct? why?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I meant with "at least" is: in Europe there is no such regulation, but by ignorance I can't exclude that there is somewhere in the world.
    This is an internatiomal forum and it is hard to speak about legal matters with reference to the whole world.
    I'm not interested in covering up anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Why at least? You sound as if you're in favor of covering up or not disclosing the country of origin... am I correct? why?
    I took AgX to mean something like: "In Europe (and possibly elsewhere) there is no regulation ...."

Oops - he beat me to it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Made in Europe: AgfaPhoto once marketed Ferrania film.

Made in China: I guess that was Kodak film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Made in Europe: AgfaPhoto once marketed Ferrania film.
    Would the ferrania version which AgfaPhoto marketed be a reversal or negative film? (I know that Ferrania produced a variety of own-brand C41 films, but I thought that they hadn't made a reversal film for many years?)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin