Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,695   Posts: 1,482,501   Online: 995

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Fuji Film Price Hike

Gotcha, thanks guys!

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a direct scan of one side of one of these Precisa boxes showing "Made in Japan." Another side has the same wording about AgfaPhoto Holding reported above.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Precisa_Japan.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	67279

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've just checkedmy film box again, and it does, in tiny writing, state "Made in Japan". Very confusing I have to admit!.....Why would Fuji manufacture film under another label at a cheaper price, that could possibly rival their own 100asa material?

I hope "cheaper" does not mean "worse"...I should know in a day or so since my first roll's gone off for processing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    Why would Fuji manufacture film under another label at a cheaper price, that could possibly rival their own 100asa material?
    Not only that, but a comment I read here that claimed it was Sensia asked why Fuji would discontinue a film and then continue to make it for another brand.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It may well be a good way of getting rid of warehoused Sensia without diluting the Fuji brand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    It may well be a good way of getting rid of warehoused Sensia without diluting the Fuji brand.
    It could be this, but there can be other reasons. It could even be standard run Provia, sold to the Agfa marketing folks for a price, in large quantities, that makes it a wash for Fuji whether you buy the Fuji brand or the Agfa brand. Packaging and distributing film costs something, and it's possible Agfa can do it, within their markets, for less than Fuji.

Kodak sells, or sold as I understand it will be gone when current supplies are done, Tri-X to Freestyle for sale as Arista Premium, Foma sells them film for sale as EDU Ultra, and in past years Ilford sold them film (and maybe paper? not sure about paper) for sell under their house brand. These arrangements aren't that uncommon.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having an outlet for fresh products, often identical to the own branded ones, under a different brand is common in industry in General.

In the photochemical industry one company is believed to have not done so for a long period, whereas another did so on large scale.
    But there is also a case as Agfa who for some time used an own brand they got by acquiring another manufacturer, Perutz, to use as a second outlet for their very own production.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Current AgfaPhoto CT Precisa is from Provia 100F production

Hello friends,

the facts about the current ("Made in Japan") AgfaPhoto CT Precisa color reversal film:
    This film is indeed cut from Provia 100F masterrolls. Fresh stock.
    That has been confirmed at last years Photokina by Fujifilm.
    It has also been confirmed by Lupus Imaging (the company which is responsible for this film and is distributing it). They told their big clients "we have access to the current Fujifilm professional slide film programme". And the only ISO 100/21° slide film with normal saturation in this segment is Provia 100F.

We've tested this film intensively in the last 18 months, again and again. Under scientific lab conditions in our non-profit test lab, and permanently in the field.
    We've also made direct comparison tests with Provia 100F, Sensia 100, Velvia 100 and Elitechrome 100 / E100G.
    The results in all tests have always been the same:

- Resolution, sharpness, grain and contrast are completely identical to Provia 100F
    - Colors are almost identical to Provia 100F: only some minor (more or less insignificant) differences can be seen, but only in close, direct comparison: This is probably due to the fact that Provia 100F as a professional film has optimal batch to batch consistency, and is cold stored in the distribution chain, whereas AgfaPhoto Precisa as an amateur film is allowed to have more tolerance and the normal distribution of amateur films.
    - AgfaPhoto Precisa is definitely not Sensia 100; the color rendition and characteristic curve are different.

We've also talked to other experts who have tested this film in comparison to Sensia and Provia 100F, and all came to the same results we've got.

Summary: You can consider the current AgfaPhoto CT Precisa as the amateur version of current Provia 100F.
    Excellent film with outstanding price-performance ratio.
    It is easily available in Europe at extremely low prices.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any film available at extremely low prices is a good thing. Especially when it is a transparency film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not THAT cheap in the US. I paid $37.85 for five rolls with free shipping on eBay. That's $7.57 each. Provia 100 is $7.99 though without the free shipping from B&H.

I wouldn't have bought it if I had known it was Provia. I was hoping for Astia or Sensia. OTOH, I'm not bothering to sell it or anything. I'll shoot it. I would have just spent it on more remaining E100G.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin