Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,656   Online: 1112

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fuji Film Price Hike

Well, it's true. The rumored 25% price increase for Fuji film is happening. I was the Yodobashi Camera film shop in Shinjuku yesterday and they already had the more expensive film with the redesigned box on the shelves for several types of film and were selling off their remaining old stock at the lower prices. I picked up a 5-pack of Velvia 50. It was priced at something like 2800 yen and the newer Velvia 50 was 3200 or 3400... Of course there is nothing actually new about it other than the price and the design of the packaging. So sad! I'm glad I stocked up on HP5+ and Arista when I was back in the U.S., but I still prefer Fuji reversal for landscape work so I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet. Apparently Fuji's price increases in the U.S. will be about 20% and won't take effect until July of this year.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, if it's the choice between expensive or unavailable, I know which one i'd choose...

*wanders off to stock up on old stuff*

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes.

Extinction is far more expensive in the long run to the successful practice of film photography than a 20-25% price hike.

And for obvious reasons, that doesn't mean everyone should simply adjust by using 20-25% less film. It's fine to complain. Just don't shoot yourself in the foot first, then complain later that it's hard to walk straight.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The price increase already took effect in the US. I had a mix of Acros and Neopan 400 in my basket at B&H and when i came back to check out Acros had already a new higher price. Neopan 400 was still at the old price so that's what i bought. Acros will be there a little longer, Neopan 400 not so much.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Fuji Film Price Hike

Quote Originally Posted by noacronym View Post
    I don't see any Neopan 400 except for 35mm. None in 120? It's all called Neopan Across, not either/or.
    It's long gone in 120

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Fuji Film Price Hike

Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    The price increase already took effect in the US. I had a mix of Acros and Neopan 400 in my basket at B&H and when i came back to check out Acros had already a new higher price. Neopan 400 was still at the old price so that's what i bought. Acros will be there a little longer, Neopan 400 not so much.
    Yea, I "bought" over the Passover holiday before the increase but the actual sale wouldn't take affect till after Passover and I knew that would be after the price increase, thankfully they kept the prices at the old price for my order...

I knew the increase was supposed to happen April 1st so I bought just before but forgot about Passover and how B&H is totally Jewish... Which is the dumbest thing since my GF is very Jewish and I still forget that B&H follows the same schedule she does haha

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm shooting up some slide film while I still can, but I have the freezer pretty well stocked already (mostly with Kodak since I missed out on stocking up on Astia) and I only shoot E6 in 35mm, so I can project it. In MF and LF I shoot B&W or color neg, and while I like Acros I can live just fine without it. In fact I could live just fine with only Ilford for B&W and Kodak for C41, for as long as the latter lasts.

Bottom line is, if it's worth it to you, use it. If it isn't, use something else. But Acros used to be about the least expensive name brand B&W film around (in 35mm and 120, paradoxically already one of the most expensive in 4x5) so I guess it's probably closer to comparable now.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Fuji Film Price Hike

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I'm shooting up some slide film while I still can, but I have the freezer pretty well stocked already (mostly with Kodak since I missed out on stocking up on Astia) and I only shoot E6 in 35mm, so I can project it. In MF and LF I shoot B&W or color neg, and while I like Acros I can live just fine without it. In fact I could live just fine with only Ilford for B&W and Kodak for C41, for as long as the latter lasts.

Bottom line is, if it's worth it to you, use it. If it isn't, use something else. But Acros used to be about the least expensive name brand B&W film around (in 35mm and 120, paradoxically already one of the most expensive in 4x5) so I guess it's probably closer to comparable now.
    If they could make a PanF2 that had the 2 minute reciprocity failure of Acros (or FP5 hehe) I wouldn't need anything but Ilford, but no one seems to be able to match it... That's the only reason I shoot it besides the price.

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fuji Film Price Hike

There is that, granted. TMX and TMY are pretty good WRT reciprocity failure too but they're not Acros. I think the suggestion that TMY is slower than TMX in long exposures has been refuted, at least until they get VERY long. TMY-2 might actually lead to shorter exposures than Acros though I'm far from sure of that, and that doesn't address the need to figure the compensation nor the impact on contrast.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noacronym View Post
    So if 19.00 American for a 5 pack is the new price what was the old?
    It was $2.89/roll until late last year, then $3.40, and now about $4.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin