Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,209   Online: 1236

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ben,

The title of this thread is misleading.

That article is about the environmental impact of Kodak using radioactive istopes in the process of their lensmaking and dumping them on their grounds.

The isotopes, not the lenses. The latter are watched by us using our Geiger-counters...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If we're talking about health hazards from Thorium AgX what about this stuff http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/q...toothpaste.htm
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It always drives me nuts when some article jumps on the radioactivity siren, only to come up with the fact that it's about natural thorium. If it was about glow-in-the-dark bathtubs which were made from spent nuclear fuel, then I'd agree that there's a major problem here. Otherwise, no big deal.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    If we're talking about health hazards from Thorium AgX what about this stuff http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/q...toothpaste.htm
    Hahahaha awesome!

This is ALMOST better than all the smoking adds from Doctors claiming it was good for you! Haha

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    Coleman lantern mantles, the kind you use for camping, were made using thorium nitrate into the 1990's and plenty are still out in the wild. I have a package of them stored safely away that send my geiger counter absolutely nuts. I'd be far more concerned about those things than some glass-bound thorium waste buried in a supposedly properly built landfill. With all the environment scrutiny Kodak has had to endure, I'd feel pretty confident that the landfill was built correctly.
    I don't have any specific knowledge of thorium waste in terms of risk or proper disposal, but I have to disagree with your premise. First, disposal began in the late 50s, so the landfill was constructed when "ignorance was bliss" (though I don't know what improvements were made since then). Keep in mind the EPA wasn't even created until 1970. Second, I believe large companies that are the main economic driver in the local economy are often excluded from more critical oversight. Especially when no one can challenge their expertise.

Here's an example in Minnesota: http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/e...Mwoodbury.html

If 3M - a well managed, well respected, and highly competent company - can create these problems (I believe unintentionally), then any company could have done so in the 60s.

So I don't know if there is any realistic risk from thorium waste, but I would not assume the landfill was built correctly.
    Last edited by mgb74; 04-22-2013 at 04:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Articles like this really set me spinning. The poorly written lead in is designed to play on peoples fears. The inflammatory statement "which will remain radioactive for billions of years" is repeated ver Betim in paragraphs two and four.

I'm in agreement with dorff about people often irrational fears about radioactivity, and the less they understand, the more irrational they are. Plus, since no one has mentioned this as far let me add this snippet from Wkikpedia ... Despite its radioactivity, thorium fluoride (ThF4) is used as an antireflection material in multilayered optical coatings. It has excellent optical transparency in the range 0.35––12 µμm, and its radiation is primarily due to alpha particles, which can be easily stopped by a thin cover layer of another material {^ Rancourt, James D. (1996). Optical thin films: user handbook. SPIE Press. p. 196. ISBN 0-8194-2285-1.}

We all contain all 91 naturally occurring elements (Technetium is derived from irradiated Molybdenum decay), that’s Hydrogen (1) through Uranium (92), plus their isotopes.

Some foods, such as brazil nuts and bananas are mildly radioactive naturally, so there is no harm in consuming them (in moderation like everything else). Some foods contain Arsenic, but you only hear quacks and TV Dr.'s looking for ratings complaining about that. It's in the soil.
    Last edited by JOSarff; 04-22-2013 at 06:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The amount of radiactive isotope is of importance too. There is a difference between a nanolayer coating or a whole lens element consisting of about 1/3 out of that material.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin