Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,403   Online: 733

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415161718 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see nothing in that to contradict the film business being sold. It still looks like Kodak Rochester will continue making the film while marketing and distribution will be done by the UK owners, but Ron may have other inside information.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I said earlier, Kodak will continue to make emulsions and coat all current film products in B38 at Kodak Park. Nothing has changed in that regard, and it is stated as such by the EK rep above.

Color paper mfg. goes to the UK people.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It always seemed clear to me that Kodak was not trying to sell the manufacturing. Press releases and news items I read back in September 2012 (when I started following it) made that point repeatedly - stating Kodak was going to sell the part that sells/markets the film (among other things), but keep the actual manufacture. The release linked to at the opening of this thread even states that, and says Kodak is trying to move towards a business-to-business model (B2B).

Aside from the comments on mismanagement, I also think Kodak has/had it's finger in too many pots and wasn't able to give any of them the attention they needed (I know, this is considered mismanagement as well, but not in the usual "bean-counting" sense). The divisions likely were not independent enough to adapt to the market quickly.

Hopefully this sale to a more-or-less dedicated group will give it the attention it needs.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    So it's not good news after all, Perez will sill be milking the film division to pay his salary and bonuses.

Ian
    It also means that Kodak retains all liabilities regarding the Kodak site and all outstanding obligations regarding Kodak film employees. I think removing that encumbrance from the retail film business helps it be viewed as viable.
    Last edited by lxdude; 05-04-2013 at 01:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: so it makes sense
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    As I said earlier, Kodak will continue to make emulsions and coat all current film products in B38 at Kodak Park. Nothing has changed in that regard, and it is stated as such by the EK rep above.

Color paper mfg. goes to the UK people.

PE
    Manufacturing, yes, we know that. But will not sales and marketing of film move to the new UK owners? That alone could really help turn things around (or not).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At present, the sales and distribution of the products is not clear. It has been sold, but what part goes to what organization is not clear except for the fact that the color paper distribution goes to the UK group.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterlight View Post
    How likely is it that Kodak C41 film is going to go away by the end of this year? I don't really care about B/W film from Kodak, because Ilford is committed to making B/W film and its future is secure for the time being.
    I don't shoot much color anymore, shoot black and white at a ratio of 20/1 but I want Kodak color to stick around in order for those who really want to use it to be able to....see the pattern there? It's not really cool to say you don't care about a film that some of us depend on to earn a living, next time just leave that opinion out, ok?

Portra should be fine for several years as like other Kodak still films, it is riding on the coat tails of the making of motion picture stock which Kodak is under contract to produce through 2015. If that is not good enough for you, I suggest you be responsible to your needs and stock up like many of us do.

As for the new speculation on this thread, I bet it is time for Colleen to weigh in again as thoughts seem to have drifted instead of being patient to wait for the next *Official* statement from Kodak in regards to this latest development.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot black and white, but I still shoot a bunch of color, Kodak color. I sincerely hope it does not go away anytime soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder what is going to happen with the products that they have already licensed - such as their photo chemicals.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    At present, the sales and distribution of the products is not clear. It has been sold, but what part goes to what organization is not clear except for the fact that the color paper distribution goes to the UK group...
    Seems pretty clear to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cdkrenzer View Post
    All of our paper manufacturing capability, IP and team around the world will move to the new company. Our consumer and professional film will continue to be made in Kodak’s film factories via a long-term supply agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdkrenzer View Post
    To clarify, Kodak will MANUFACTURE both motion picture and still film in Rochester. The BUSINESS of still film is part of Personalized Imaging and is part of the spin-off and will be supplied to KPP as part of a long-term supply agreement.
    Still films will be made by Kodak, which will supply them to the new English KPP-owned sales/markeing entity (as yet not named), which in turn will distribute/market them. The only question not answered (which Colleen essentially indicated she knows but is unable to reveal) is for how long Kodak will supply those still films. Colleen has communicated that still film demand going forward will play a significant role in determining the supply duration.

The following is the only thing I've posted that isn't fact-based: Kodak's agreement with the KPP-owned marketing/distribution entity probably requires it to supply still films for a minimum number of years and, after that, includes a minimum annual volume for each product. If the new entity doesn't order at least the threshold quantity of a specific product after the calendar-based guarantee has expired, Kodak would be able to cease production of it. There may also be an aggregate minimum product quantity minimum after the guarantee date. This is the kind of arrangement one would expect both parties could live with.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin