Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,100   Online: 945

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

As for restarting a coating machine, how many of you know how to run one? What happens to the EK experienced coater who loses his job and moves on? What happens to the laid off emulsion maker? These are gone gone gone and no longer EK resources. And the existing staff is dedicated to B 38.
    PE

Over and over, it happens that when essential people are lost, their essential knowledge is lost. Nikon had a hard time replicating their 50's rangefinder cameras 40-something years later because the people who had made the originals were gone. They never did figure out for sure how some things were done originally. This despite having more modern materials and techniques at hand, and the latest knowledge. In a time of sophisticated design and manufacturing techniques, the regard for pure cleverness and a sophisticated soft knowledge has been reduced. Schools could never really teach the ways of thinking that people needed in the past to solve problems. Only long apprenticeship could accomplish that.
    From reading the posts of PE and others from the business, it's clear to me that film production is, as the saying goes. "as much art as science". For all the modern scientific understanding of materials and processes, and advanced tools, it still takes people with insight and judgment to successfully create the product. Lose them and you're screwed.
    Last edited by lxdude; 04-29-2013 at 07:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This article at least says they plan to hire new execs and run the biz for cash flow, not just sell it off:

http://pdnpulse.com/2013/04/kodak-tu...sion-plan.html
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^Good to hear! They've the worlds most selling b/w film to boot (Tri-X), will be nice what a fresh set of eyes can do!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    This article at least says they plan to hire new execs and run the biz for cash flow, not just sell it off:

Cash cows rarely get r & d investments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You dingbats! An exec never ran a coating machine nor made an emulsion! Get real!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    You dingbats! An exec never ran a coating machine nor made an emulsion! Get real!

PE
    PE:

But some of those execs actually:

1) know the value of those who run a coating machine or make emulsions;
    2) can get those who run a coating machine or make emulsions the things they need; and
    3) know how to market the results!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Harman's execs sure did...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Cash cows rarely get r & d investments.
    The films are so good these days they can go a long distance without further R&D. Though I hope they do get it so they can be improved further. But I'm happy to just see them in production, and if they are much the same 20 years from now, OK by me.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post

So far (to be fair, just based on my knowledge....) noone wanted to buy the resting halide based manufacturing.
    The market-value of these plants is thus zero.

How could a new owner succeed in trying to sell them after Kodak failed?

Of course those plants are still of value to the owner. That value would be less than the expected profits to be made over the time the plant still lasts or the market is still in existence.

But in this all we must not forget that the new owner is not a buyer who was free to decide to buy something for profit but a creditor who took what was offered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    PE:

But some of those execs actually:

1) know the value of those who run a coating machine or make emulsions;
    2) can get those who run a coating machine or make emulsions the things they need; and
    3) know how to market the results!

That's the key to making improvements. We need a healthy Kodak film & paper company as it boosts confidence as a whole in the rest of the market.

They need to get film on shelves again more widely around the world.

Ian

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin