Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,877   Posts: 1,520,265   Online: 1135
      
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,546
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmiller View Post
    An unattributed copy and paste off the internet?
    Be good to actually know where it comes from Steve.
    Sorry. You are absolutely right. I did it in a hurry on my way out.

    The source has already been posted now.

    It was a copy and paste from another forum.

    If anyone missed it: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/hargreaves-orphanmyth.pdf


    Steve.

  2. #32
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,986
    OP, just do not post photographs on the internet and you will not have a problem. <== my solution
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

    I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

  3. #33
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,573
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Keep your jpeg content modest in the first place and that's all they will be able
    to steal.
    Good advice, that.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

  4. #34
    Poisson Du Jour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SE Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,506
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    OP, just do not post photographs on the internet and you will not have a problem. <== my solution

    Nothing more needs to be said.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

    A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.






  5. #35
    Diapositivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,844
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    A friend told me the Luftwaffe bombed London on 76 consecutive nights during WW11, and all that was left of it was cardboard and paint
    An encyclopaedia told me that RAF bombed Berlin on August 20, 1940, starting the "total war"*, and that Hitler got (predictably) very very pissed and ordered a mass scale bombardment over Britain, of which the famous first London bombing of September 7th (or 9th, go by memory) was only the beginning.

    Same encyclopaedia says many historians think the Berlin bombing was a smart move by Churchill, who imagined Hitler would respond with a massive bombing campaign over Britain thus - giving the technology of the times - sacrificing many bombing planes and in a sense making more difficult or impossible a subsequent invasion of Britain.

    In fact the Battle of Britain, which until August 1940 was largely, largely, largely being won by the Germans, had a reversal during the bombing campaign so that the number of planes shot down in the two armed forces, by end of 1940, was roughly the same.

    Many historians would agree that Hitler never thought to invade Britain in spring 1941, in fact he invaded the Soviet Union and those things are prepared quite in advance.

    The bombing raids on London are mainly due to the sagacity and the strategic acumen of Mr Churchill. A reinstatement of the sagacity and acumen he showed about Gallipoli during WWI.

    Fabrizio

    Never knew of 11 warld wars, there were only 2 in my memory . I and II are Roman numerals. 1 and 11 are Arab numerals. It's WWII. One usually pronounces it "second world war". Just like Pope Alexander VI is Alexander the Sixth (not Six), and the XX century is the twentieth century (not twenty). It's cardinal but it's read usually as an ordinal, as a strange custom of life. Exceptions apply. YMMV.

    Sorry for the OT.

    * Actually not really. Germany had already started a total war against Poland with the shelling of Warsaw. There was no total war between Germany and UK until the Berlin bombing, though.
    Last edited by Diapositivo; 05-11-2013 at 04:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

  6. #36
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,546
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    The bombing raids on London are mainly due to the sagacity and the strategic acumen of Mr Churchill.
    My grandfather had nothing good to say about Churchill and considered him to be a warmonger.


    Steve.

  7. #37
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    An encyclopaedia told me that RAF bombed Berlin on August 20, 1940, starting the "total war"*, and that Hitler got (predictably) very very pissed and ordered a mass scale bombardment over Britain, of which the famous first London bombing of September 7th (or 9th, go by memory) was only the beginning.

    Same encyclopaedia says many historians think the Berlin bombing was a smart move by Churchill, who imagined Hitler would respond with a massive bombing campaign over Britain thus - giving the technology of the times - sacrificing many bombing planes and in a sense making more difficult or impossible a subsequent invasion of Britain.

    In fact the Battle of Britain, which until August 1940 was largely, largely, largely being won by the Germans, had a reversal during the bombing campaign so that the number of planes shot down in the two armed forces, by end of 1940, was roughly the same.

    Many historians would agree that Hitler never thought to invade Britain in spring 1941, in fact he invaded the Soviet Union and those things are prepared quite in advance.

    The bombing raids on London are mainly due to the sagacity and the strategic acumen of Mr Churchill. A reinstatement of the sagacity and acumen he showed about Gallipoli during WWI.

    Fabrizio

    Never knew of 11 warld wars, there were only 2 in my memory . I and II are Roman numerals. 1 and 11 are Arab numerals. It's WWII. One usually pronounces it "second world war". Just like Pope Alexander VI is Alexander the Sixth (not Six), and the XX century is the twentieth century (not twenty). It's cardinal but it's read usually as an ordinal, as a strange custom of life. Exceptions apply. YMMV.

    Sorry for the OT.

    * Actually not really. Germany had already started a total war against Poland with the shelling of Warsaw. There was no total war between Germany and UK until the Berlin bombing, though.
    I have neither the time or inclination to dignify this incorrect incomprehensible uninformed babble with an answer.Read this.;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blitz
    Ben

  8. #38
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    My grandfather had nothing good to say about Churchill and considered him to be a warmonger.


    Steve.
    That was probably the reason I never bothered to listen to your grandfather. He was the one who thought the Neville Chamberlain was a brilliant politician, wasn't he?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

    I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

  9. #39
    Diapositivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,844
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I have neither the time or inclination to dignify this incorrect incomprehensible uninformed babble with an answer.Read this.;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blitz
    I'm sorry you take is in such an irritated way. Facts are facts.
    Even the page you link says the same:

    <<
    This was a result of a rapid escalation starting on 24 August 1940, when night bombers aiming for RAF airfields drifted off course and accidentally destroyed several London homes, killing civilians, combined with Churchill's immediate response of bombing Berlin.
    >>

    Obviously the bombing of Berlin has nothing to do, really, with the accidental and patently unintentional off-mark fall of some bombs directed to a RAF airport during a nocturne bombing raid. Besides, bombings take days (or weeks) to plan and execute. The Berlin bombing was probably planned in advance and would have been executed in any case. The off-mark German bombs were taken as an excuse in front of history, public opinion etc.

    If you have an Encyclopaedia Americana at home or at your local library you find a very nice "Battle of Britain" article stating the point of view that I expressed above.

    History it's history. Don't take it as a religion. Re-examination of history past is the only way to avoid falling into the same mistakes in the future.

    Relax. If you don't declare war to them anymore, they won't bomb you anymore

    With friendship
    Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

  10. #40
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,546
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    That was probably the reason I never bothered to listen to your grandfather. He was the one who thought the Neville Chamberlain was a brilliant politician, wasn't he?
    No. He was one of the few people I have talked to who actually lived through the war years and told me of Churchill's eagerness to send in planes, ships, men, etc. as a show of force - often with disastrous consequences.


    Steve.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin