Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,338   Online: 889

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji just announced a rather hefty price increase. Expect them to do so again this year. (MHO)

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I dropped Fuji this year as well. For how good Ilford and Kodak stuff is, I can't justify buying from them as long as they seem unstable in terms of both pricing and availability. Taking Neopan 400 120 away really stung.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Fuji just announced a rather hefty price increase. Expect them to do so again this year. (MHO)

PE
    +1 IMHO this will be a regular pattern for the next few years.

The difference between the dollar and the yen will have a small effect on prices in the US, but you probably won't notice it much at the price of a roll of film. I suspect the price increases will be far more noticeable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it gets so bad that 1 yen = 1 dollar (as it did nearly 100 years ago), then Fuji film is really going to cost! If it goes the other way, we will be in luck.

Either way is possible given the way the economy is going world wide, but the US is more likely to lose out.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It already has. Take some US dollars, go to Japan, and now you can buy more Fuji film than before with the same USD.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know the cost structure for film, but as the value of the yen declines it costs more to buy the raw materials and pay for the transport.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    When Acros sheets are nearly 75% more expensive than comparable Ilford products, many people will simply choose Ilford. Then, Fuji will drop prices.
    Or they'll just stop producing it. Fuji have clearly shown no commitment at all to film shooters. They can't even be bothered to have an official stance when they cancel a product, with their US product managers rarely able to say with certainty whether or not a particular product is actually discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    or go digital.
    What about medium and large format shooters?
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    I already dropped Fuji ACROS. I used to buy it ten 120 rolls at a time when it was under $3 a roll. Now I use Kodak. I always felt bad using Japanese film while an American photo company struggled but when you are saving over a $1 a roll the price difference can't be ignored. Fuji has some guts thinking I'll buy their film over Kodak's just to save a few pennies.

So the yen depreciated by about 10%. Well the price of ACROS is up almost 33%. For ACROS prices to return to where they were a year ago it would take currency manipulation on a scale that would have American nativists screaming bloody murder.
    The Obama administration is already making public complaints to Japan about the fall of the Yen. The 10% depreciation you speak of has happened in just the last month. Recall that the yen used to be at 70 to the dollar last year or so. The fall has been far, far more than 10%.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    I don't know the cost structure for film, but as the value of the yen declines it costs more to buy the raw materials and pay for the transport.
    That is not correct. As the yen declines, goods sold in dollars or other foreign currencies bring back MORE yen to Fujifilm. A declining yen is good for Fujifilm since most of their sales are overseas. Their recent year end financial statement alluded to this as their imaging solutions group gained over 2% in income just due to currency moves.

If all film raw materials were imported, then it would be bad for Fujifilm. It is very unlikely that this is true.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    Or they'll just stop producing it. Fuji have clearly shown no commitment at all to film shooters. They can't even be bothered to have an official stance when they cancel a product, with their US product managers rarely able to say with certainty whether or not a particular product is actually discontinued.

What about medium and large format shooters?

This has nothing to do with Fujifilm's commitment to film, but rather is a typical action of a Japanese corporation. Ricoh's GXR camera has many fans, who now after 2 years of waiting, STILL have no idea if the camera is still in production. Ricoh wont announce anything to let customers know at all.

Japanese corporations can be very infuriating in their lack of communication.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin